• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are there codes that imply a deteriorating concrete ceiling in garage is non compliant?

FreeCementFalling

Picture is in the link above.

This is the ceiling of the ground floor shared garage, directly above my spot. Dust and debris falls out with a tiny amount of agitation. Building manager says they don't think anything needs to be done.

I believe the Seattle city building code species that existing building must comply with the International Building Code.

Picture is in the link above.

This is the ceiling of the ground floor shared garage, directly above my spot. Dust and debris falls out with a tiny amount of agitation. Building manager says they don't think anything needs to be done.

I believe the Seattle city building code species that existing building must comply with the International Building Code.

welcome

My non concrete knowledge non structural engineer answer

I would say not a problem

Do you know how old the building is???

You can contact the Building Official and you more than likely have a separate dept named code enforcement or similar

Put in a written request, normally online, for them to look at it and report back to you

welcome

You can contact the Building Official and you more than likely have a separate dept named code enforcement or similar

Put in a written request, normally online, for them to look at it and report back to you
Thanks, the building is from 99. I am not so worried about the structural integrity of the building. I just don't want loose dust or debris falling on my vehicle.

Thanks, the building is from 99. I am not so worried about the structural integrity of the building. I just don't want loose dust or debris falling on my vehicle.
welcome

And sorry, meant to ask; are Building Official and Code Enforcement local government entities? Or would they be the property company that owns my building?

As long as the building is compliant with the code that was in effect when it was permitted the building is compliant. The standards in the current code may be different from when the building was constructed but in general you are not required to comply with the current code.

The code is concerned about the structural integrity not the loose debris.

Having said that, something is causing pieces of the concrete slab to flake off. The loss of concrete cover on reinforcement could cause a code compliant problem. The discoloration suggests that this problem may be due to water problems above that could result in rusting of the reinforcing steel in the concrete which would both result in a safety concern and a maintenance problem.

The owner of the building should do two things. Have a plumber visit the site and see if he can identify the source of the leaks. Have a structural engineer visit the building to identify the nature of the damage. Once the cause of the problem and the extent of the damage is identified the engineer should develop recommendations to correct the problem and repair the damage.

What you are seeing is call spalling. It happens when there is an expansion in the concrete. As Mark K said, it is typically because the rebar is rusting, There are sometimes other causes, but if it is one specific area, I would follow Mark's advice.