• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anyone have experience with Duramax panels for a fire rated wall?

Jay

SAWHORSE
Wondering if anyone is familiar with this product (1/2" PVC panel) as a substitution for sheetrock in a 1 hour rated wall assembly. Product states it is Class A fire rated and has been tested to comply with ASTM E84-15b which, quite frankly, I am not familiar with that test other than just looking it up now. Not being familiar with FSI and smoke ratings I will be looking into it but hoping a code guru could shed some light. No UL rating as part of a wall assembly. Project is commercial kitchen and clients are looking to save money by using this instead of sheetrock. Thanks in advance.

a substitution for sheetrock in a 1 hour rated wall assembly

Before going to far, you would have to find a tested assembly, using the stuff!!!!! TO pass my review.

Reactions: Jay
It can be used as a wall finish for a fire-rated wall since it has a Class A finish rating, but it doesn't indicate it has been tested as part of any fire-rated assembly. So, in my opinion, no, it could not be used in lieu of gypsum board for a fire-rated assembly.

Absolutely. Appreciate the info. Smoke development of 400 (I am still learning what these figures mean) seems like a LOT of smoke. I advised owner he can use it as a finish material OVER the fire rated rock. I also asked him if he had seen the movie Towering Inferno, which he did! Thanks gents.