• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Service Kitchen

EasilyConfused

Bronze Member
I have a "Service Kitchen" in a commercial building off of an A3 space used for training and staff get togethers. No hood and won't be cooking anything that really qualifies it as what I would refer to as a "commercial kitchen"..... everything catered with exception of some cooking outdoors on grills. Wondering what heading this space would fall under 1004.1.2?

Break room?? Part of the major occupancy.

You are overthinking again,,,, step away from the code book.

What cooking appliances are in it??

Regular home stove, microwave, refrigerator?

In cases where a structure has a purpose that is not specifically identified within any particular occupancy classification, that structure is to be classified in the group that it most closely resembles. Before an accurate classification can be made, however, a detailed description of the activities or processes taking place inside the building, the occupant load and the materials and equipment used and stored therein must be submitted to the building official. The building official must then compare this information to the various occupancy classifications, determine which one the building most closely resembles and classify the building as such.

Thanks guys. "Kitchens, Commercial" it is.

CDA- this is more than a break room for sure.

Related question. So I used "Kitchens, Commercial" for establishing my occupant loads for the room.

What about for the same room giving it an occupancy classification?

I ended up settling on "B". If the space doesn't fit in neatly into table 1004.1.2 it REALLY doesn't fit anywhere in chapter 3.

Project is designed to 2012 but was looking at 2015 and noticed the black "changed this code edition bar" for business now includes "food processing and commercial kitchens not associated with restaurants....."

What do you think?

Can a kitchen be straight up business occupancy?

Thanks guys. "Kitchens, Commercial" it is.CDA- this is more than a break room for sure.

Related question. So I used "Kitchens, Commercial" for establishing my occupant loads for the room.

What about for the same room giving it an occupancy classification?

I ended up settling on "B". If the space doesn't fit in neatly into table 1004.1.2 it REALLY doesn't fit anywhere in chapter 3.

Project is designed to 2012 but was looking at 2015 and noticed the black "changed this code edition bar" for business now includes "food processing and commercial kitchens not associated with restaurants....."

What do you think?

Can a kitchen be straight up business occupancy?
What appliances are in the room??!

I have seen some nice break rooms

Are they cooking full meals? , besides the employee parties?

Soon you are going to have a "Multi" mixed occupancy building.

And not sprinkled correct?? Watch out for occupancy seperation walls if you keep going.

I have a "Service Kitchen" in a commercial building off of an A3 space used for training and staff get togethers. No hood and won't be cooking anything that really qualifies it as what I would refer to as a "commercial kitchen"..... everything catered with exception of some cooking outdoors on grills. Wondering what heading this space would fall under 1004.1.2?
This is not a commercial kitchen, B occupancy, depending on sq ft, number of occupants. No hood,won't be cooking anything???? Agree with cda

Grills........ Natural gas or propane, be sure to look at the IFC for code compliance.

Here are a few sections - 308.1.4 Open-flame cooking devices.

Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.

Exceptions: 1. One- and two-family dwellings. 2. Where buildings, balconies and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system. 3. LP-gas cooking devices having LP-gas container with a water capacity not greater than 21/2 pounds [nominal 1 pound (0.454 kg) LP-gas capacity].

308.3 Group A occupancies.

Open-flame devices shall not be used in a Group A occupancy.

Exceptions:

1. Open-flame devices are allowed to be used in the following situations, provided approved precautions are taken to prevent ignition of a combustible material or injury to occupants: 1.1. Where necessary for ceremonial or religious purposes in accordance with Section 308.1.7. 1.2. On stages and platforms as a necessary part of a performance in accordance with Section 308.3.2. 1.3. Where candles on tables are securely supported on substantial noncombustible bases and the candle flames are protected. 2. Heat-producing equipment complying with Chapter 6 and the International Mechanical Code. 3. Gas lights are allowed to be used provided adequate precautions satisfactory to the fire code official are taken to prevent ignition of combustible materials. If this is classifed as an assembly or is constructed of combustible materials.... you might have a bigger problem.

Grills........ Natural gas or propane, be sure to look at the IFC for code compliance.Here are a few sections - 308.1.4 Open-flame cooking devices.

Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.

Exceptions: 1. One- and two-family dwellings. 2. Where buildings, balconies and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system. 3. LP-gas cooking devices having LP-gas container with a water capacity not greater than 21/2 pounds [nominal 1 pound (0.454 kg) LP-gas capacity].

308.3 Group A occupancies.

Open-flame devices shall not be used in a Group A occupancy.

Exceptions:

1. Open-flame devices are allowed to be used in the following situations, provided approved precautions are taken to prevent ignition of a combustible material or injury to occupants: 1.1. Where necessary for ceremonial or religious purposes in accordance with Section 308.1.7. 1.2. On stages and platforms as a necessary part of a performance in accordance with Section 308.3.2. 1.3. Where candles on tables are securely supported on substantial noncombustible bases and the candle flames are protected. 2. Heat-producing equipment complying with Chapter 6 and the International Mechanical Code. 3. Gas lights are allowed to be used provided adequate precautions satisfactory to the fire code official are taken to prevent ignition of combustible materials. If this is classifed as an assembly or is constructed of combustible materials.... you might have a bigger problem.
Yes charcoal and wood burning grills are allowed in restaurants

Thanks all.

Yes kilitact. No hood and won't be cooking with anything other than microwave etc. Bottom line is no cooktop/stove/range/ovens are provided.

I'm calling It mixed use non separated A-3 plus B occupancies

No sprinklers. I think doesn't need to be separated because exits provided for Assembly area are directly off of room and meet egress requirements

Assembly 2474sf = 164.94 occupant load for assembly at 15net

Serving Kitchen 271sf = 1.36 occupant load for business at 200gross

Grills are outside but thanks for pointing out the IFC requirements for possible design conflict.

Anything else I need to know?

# 0 # 0 #

Anything else I need to know?
Since you asked, ...does this faintcy Breakroom meet the ADA \ Accessibility requirementsas far as Reach Range Heights of the counter tops, ...are there enough plumbing fixtures;

regular and ADA type, installed, ...does the MOE meet the ADA requirements for Accessibility

all the way to the Public Way, ...lighting, ...compliant number of ADA Parking Spaces,

Access Routes and on and on and on ? :chuncky:

Thanks !

# 0 # 0 #

""". No hood and won't be cooking with anything other than microwave etc. """". """Bottom line is no cooktop/stove/range/ovens are provided.""""

I'm calling It mixed use non separated A-3 plus B occupancies

No sprinklers. I think doesn't need to be separated because exits provided for Assembly area are directly off of room and meet egress requirements

Serving Kitchen 271sf = 1.36 occupant load for business at 200gross"""""

My wife would shoot me, than kill me if I called that a kitchen!!!

""". No hood and won't be cooking with anything other than microwave etc. """". """Bottom line is no cooktop/stove/range/ovens are provided.""""I'm calling It mixed use non separated A-3 plus B occupancies

Serving Kitchen 271sf = 1.36 occupant load for business at 200gross"""""

My wife would shoot me, than kill me if I called that a kitchen!!!
1.36 occupants?? Is that PC. LOL

NorthStar- Funny. Let's just say I'm still a little green around the edges.

CDA- The question is, would your wife, if she was my building official, say that there space you have is in no way a kitchen. My guess is she might be scratching her head on that delimma.

Kilitact- Sorry. I'm a little slow today. PC= Politically correct? How is a partial occupant not politically correct? Never really been politically correct so how would I know?

Har Har.

I'd say your calculations are a little off. That would be a mom who's just a little over 3 1/2 months pregnant. Well into the 2nd trimester (I think).

Fatboy. In case you're meaning this should be 2, numbers are tight this particular project so we have to get a little creative with our mixed use addition.

I'd still use the "Kitchens, Commercial" -- it's about as close as you can get.
Opened this old thread. How does "Kitchens, Commercial" differ from Commercial Kitchen? Or does it.

I would like to have a commercial kitchen in our barn, but it looks like I need to classify as A2, because I would like to attach it to a larger barn for venue use. Can I classify as A3?
Does Kitchens, Commercial have a different meaning than commercial kitchen because of the wording?

thanks

Opened this old thread. How does "Kitchens, Commercial" differ from Commercial Kitchen? Or does it.

I would like to have a commercial kitchen in our barn, but it looks like I need to classify as A2, because I would like to attach it to a larger barn for venue use. Can I classify as A3?
Does Kitchens, Commercial have a different meaning than commercial kitchen because of the wording?

thanks

I believe Rlga was referring to a table, that is used to figure occupant load

For that table “Opened this old thread. How does "Kitchens, Commercial" differ from Commercial Kitchen? Or does it.””

is the same thing.