• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathroom Lav Vent

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Let’s discuss.
In a straight line, from the trap to the vent is about 6‘6“, if you measure along the wall and the actual length of the pipe it is closer to 8’6“
86ACA73F-0193-4034-964D-D9E3AC9E9B1D.jpeg

Is it 2" pipe? It doesn't look like it is sloping at the required 1/4" per foot.

If it is 2" pipe, and it goes more than 8' sloping at a 1/4" per foot per IPC table 909.1, than it will be in violation of IPC 909.2 that says that the total fall of the pipe shall not exceed the diameter of the fixture drain. 8', @ 1/4" per foot = 2"

Also, can they notch the metal studs like that?

< = = @ = = >

I do not see any purple primer on the fittings.
The copper pipe is in contact with a dissimilar metal,
in multiple locations.
The copper piping is not strapped \ secured.
No thermal insulation on the copper piping.
Has this drain line been pressure tested ?

Multiple nail guards needed.
Drain piping not strapped \ secured.

< = = @ = = >

< = = @ = = >

I do not see any purple primer on the fittings.
The copper pipe is in contact with a dissimilar metal,
in multiple locations.
The copper piping is not strapped \ secured.
No thermal insulation on the copper piping.
Has this drain line been pressure tested ?

Multiple nail guards needed.
Drain piping not strapped \ secured.

< = = @ = = >

All valid points, who’d of thunk a simple sink project would render so many violations.
One item not needed, I believe purple primer has been removed from I Codes, clear is acceptable.

Pick your AISI depending on structural or not.....

2211.1 General. The design and installation of structural and
nonstructural members utilized in cold-formed steel lightframe
construction where the specified minimum base steel
thickness is not greater than 0.1180 inches (2.997 mm) shall
be in accordance with AISI S200 and Sections 2211.2 through
2211.7, or AISI S220, as applicable.

I'll find it when someone pays me to find it again....

I don't want to be one of those lazy building officials....Page 8-9 in the AISI 220 for nonstructural...I let the smarter than me engineers figure it out....

2018 IRC, you cannot notch metal studs per R603.3.4.

I assumed the studs to be non-load bearing.

The only thing I could find in the 2018 IBC was 2211.2, which just says nonstructural steel framing members shall be installed per AISI S220.

AISI S220 (C) says that nonstructural members shall be installed per ASTM C754

ASTM C754 has no mention of notching studs at all.

I am now an accomplice to a thread hijack...

$ $ - - - >

Also, ...** Rembo **, has that vertical 4 inch pvc drain
been pressure tested for leaks yet ? o_O

< - - - $ $

2018 IRC, you cannot notch metal studs per R603.3.4.
That section doesn't apply to partitions.

No one cares about partitions. The loading is literally someone leaning against the wall (5psf).
Go lean on the wall, did it collapse? No? You've just demonstrated the wall meets the design loads by full scale in situ testing.

About the missing nail plates...

It looks like a 2 inch combination waste and vent system for a lavatory. The trap and trap arm for the Lav is required to only be 1-1/4 inch. The horizontal 2 inch pipe is 2 sizes larger than the required, and is less than 15 feet in length. It complies with the requirements of UPC 9.10.

OK.
Yup, you nailed it, Gift. 2 inch drain and unlimited distance by the IRC and IPC. (Still needs slope though). Now you can even use it for kitchen sink with food grinder. Single fixture combination w/v. 2021 removed the grinder restriction.