• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

frost depth in the 50's - Connecticut

Hyrax4978

I am currently selling a property that has a concrete foundation wall that is ever so slightly tilted. Barely noticable, but it got picked up on the report.
I am fairly confident its been this way for at least 20 years, if not forever. House was built in the 50's. I just dug up the foundation and found the bottom of footing closer to 30" down rather than 42".

Question 1: when did frost depths get determined in the building code.
Questions 1A: have they ever been changed, or has it always been 42" in CT.
Question 2: If they had frost depth set in the mid 50's how do i find out what it was. Google was no help.

Thank you!

I am currently selling a property that has a concrete foundation wall that is ever so slightly tilted. Barely noticable, but it got picked up on the report.
I am fairly confident its been this way for at least 20 years, if not forever. House was built in the 50's. I just dug up the foundation and found the bottom of footing closer to 30" down rather than 42".

Question 2: If they had frost depth set in the mid 50's how do i find out what it was. Google was no help.

Thank you!

An OLD structural engineer may have the info to Question 2.

May need to know if the city/ state had an adopted building code when the house was built,,,,

But can still be a general question, as to when it was first in the code.

I am thinking the answers will not matter????????

If you have a state wide code, maybe call the state and ask the question,,,

Not sure if this helps any:::

1936????

Starting at page 68, if the thing flips

Call OSBI?....Before 1971 it was up to the Towns and only the bigger cities probably had any codes in the 50's, so there would be nothing legally enforceable.......I have gotten modifications to rebuild on existing foundations to around 30"...What municipality?

Thank you!
I am curious, are the buyers or the city making you install a new foundation to transfer the property?

The buyer is having an engineer stop by tonight. I don't expect any issues, hopefully just a "that's what they did in the fifties". But I wanted to be prepared to know myself what was done going into the Convo. I'm thinking worst case scenario I toss some top soil on top and call it a day, but I'm hoping to do nothing. I'm confident it's fine, just need the buyer to be on the same page. Thanks for all the info