• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can an IRC modular home be moved after placement in Wyoming, USA?

JDE

Hi all, I'm having a bit of a tricky question I'm trying to solve and this seemed like a very knowledgeable group to ask.
For a small bit of background: I'm a housing consultant for manufactured and modular homes. I have a client that is building in a county in Wyoming that has no adopted building codes.
He is wanting to place an IRC modular on a specific place on his property, with the intention of moving it to a new place on the property a few years down the road.
Is this possible? I cannot find anything about detaching from the foundation (will be a crawlspace with the marriage line supported by piers/posts) and moving, then reattaching to the same type foundation anywhere. I've been searching for hours, and I'm starting to lose my marbles a little bit.
Any enlightenment y'all might be able to shed is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure but offhand I can't think of any reason it couldn't be done. Houses are moved all the time and I don't see where this would be any different.

First of all quit referring to it as an "IRC modular" since there is no such thing. There are IRC dwellings and modular dwellings. Those on the permitting side when the term "modular" is used will be asking for the paperwork that it was built in a factory under a specific code and inspected by a third party inspection agency.
Moving an IRC dwelling should not be an issue

I believe what you have is a factory built housing. There is typically special provisions related to permitting of factory built housing. In California permitting of the factory built modular units is handled by HCD. While the local jurisdiction only deals with the work performed on sites.

Talk with the state entity responsible for regulating housing. The manufacture of the factory built housing should know what are the local rules

The rules related to moving of a building are not influenced by whether it was a factory constructed building. It could be in some states that the moved building would need to comply with the code in effect when moved. I believe that in California only the new foundation must comply with the current code.

Hi all, I'm having a bit of a tricky question I'm trying to solve and this seemed like a very knowledgeable group to ask.
For a small bit of background: I'm a housing consultant for manufactured and modular homes. I have a client that is building in a county in Wyoming that has no adopted building codes.
He is wanting to place an IRC modular on a specific place on his property, with the intention of moving it to a new place on the property a few years down the road.
Is this possible? I cannot find anything about detaching from the foundation (will be a crawlspace with the marriage line supported by piers/posts) and moving, then reattaching to the same type foundation anywhere. I've been searching for hours, and I'm starting to lose my marbles a little bit.
Any enlightenment y'all might be able to shed is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Anything is possible with the right equipment and technique. I see no problem if the procedure is done with care and consideration.

Since your client would have no local code enforcement to deal with, he can do whatever he wants. I doubt the state of Wyoming cares what he does, much less has anyone with the time or resources to regulate him on it.

Here if a true IRC structure it would require a permit both times for the foundations and attachment. If a Manufactured home Placement permits are required inside most city limits and some counties as well as state permit as all MH is regulated thru the state.

There may federal laws that apply even if no state building code.

The quick an way to resolve this is to ask the manufacture that will provide the modules.

Modulars around here are HUD inspected at the plant. We don't step foot inside, only inspect the foundation and utility connections.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on the differences between modular, prefab, panelized, manufactured, mobile, and I don't know what other labels. A lot of web sites say "modular" are built to ICC/local codes and "mobile" or "manufactured" to HUD standards. In my state, it seems "manufactured" homes, which exclude "mobile homes" are required to be built to the Uniform Code which is an amended 2018 IRC. Sounds as if entirely different in other states.

Mobile Homes (Sometimes called trailers, or manufactured homes)

Mobile homes are houses that are built on a frame and are designed to be transported to the customer’s home site, hence the name mobile home. They were originally moved from place to place and were often considered temporary living arrangements. Mobile homes have been around for a long time.

mobile home image

Mobile Homes are now overseen by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), established in 1976. Before HUD became involved, mobile homes were not held to any specific code or manufacturing standard.
HUD provides a nationwide minimum standard specification for mobile homes. One of the requirements that remains to this day is that the frame is an integral part of the structure. The frame is engineered to carry the structural load of the roof and walls. Because of this, the frame must remain under a mobile home and cannot be removed. This nationwide code prohibits state and local authorities from having any jurisdiction over how the home is built. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. However, along with the state and local folks losing authority, so did the homeowner or buyer. There is zero flexibility in the design of a mobile home. Other than cosmetics, you are not able to make changes to your design.

manufactured home image

Modular Homes

Modular homes are the next generation of manufactured homes. Placing the structural engineering under a state and local code provides a means for the states to control and certify that the home meets their criteria. It allows the buyer to have more say over the design parameters. It also allows for the removal of the frame by having the structure engineered to transfer the load calculations to the engineered foundation instead of the transportation frame used in mobile homes. The frame no longer has to be an integral part of the construction.
Modular Homes are built to the same building codes as a site-built home, and the only moving a modular home will do is going down the line in the manufacturing plant and heading to the site. Modular homes are permanently affixed to their foundation, and they are indistinguishable from their site-built counterparts.

Other notable differences between modular homes and mobile homes:

Modular homes…
  • Appraise the same as their on-site built counterparts do; they do not depreciate.
  • Can have some customization.
  • Most modular home companies have in-house engineering departments that utilize CAD (Computer Aided Design).
  • Designs vary in style and size.
  • Modular construction can be used for commercial applications, including office buildings.
  • Are permanent structures — “real property.”
  • Can be built on crawl spaces, basements or pilings.
  • Considered a form of green building.
  • Are faster to build than 100 percent site-built homes.
  • Home loans for modular homes are the same as site-built homes.
  • Insurance premiums for modular homes are the same as site-built homes.
  • Taxes on modular homes are the same as site-built homes.
  • Can be built to withstand 180-mph winds.
  • Can be built for accessible living and designed for future conveniences.

I believe what you have is a factory built housing. There is typically special provisions related to permitting of factory built housing. In California permitting of the factory built modular units is handled by HCD. While the local jurisdiction only deals with the work performed on sites.

Talk with the state entity responsible for regulating housing. The manufacture of the factory built housing should know what are the local rules

The rules related to moving of a building are not influenced by whether it was a factory constructed building. It could be in some states that the moved building would need to comply with the code in effect when moved. I believe that in California only the new foundation must comply with the current code.
Good idea, thanks so much!

Anything is possible with the right equipment and technique. I see no problem if the procedure is done with care and consideration.

Since your client would have no local code enforcement to deal with, he can do whatever he wants. I doubt the state of Wyoming cares what he does, much less has anyone with the time or resources to regulate him on it.
I live in Wyoming, can confirm that they don't really care, but also didn't want to lead my client into unrealistic expectations either. The biggest struggle will be finding someone in the state who knows how and has the equipment to do so. Thanks so much!

There may federal laws that apply even if no state building code.

The quick an way to resolve this is to ask the manufacture that will provide the modules.
Oh very good point, I'll need to check federal regulations also. Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on the differences between modular, prefab, panelized, manufactured, mobile, and I don't know what other labels. A lot of web sites say "modular" are built to ICC/local codes and "mobile" or "manufactured" to HUD standards. In my state, it seems "manufactured" homes, which exclude "mobile homes" are required to be built to the Uniform Code which is an amended 2018 IRC. Sounds as if entirely different in other states.
This is why I always specify "IRC Modular" or "HUD Manufactured" as even building/zoning depts. don't use universal language. Generally the terms used here is Modular for any code built to IRC/IBC codes, and Manufactured for HUD. Mobile or Trailer homes are manufactureds, as well. Seems that many would benefit from well defined and universal terms!

Mobile Homes (Sometimes called trailers, or manufactured homes)

Mobile homes are houses that are built on a frame and are designed to be transported to the customer’s home site, hence the name mobile home. They were originally moved from place to place and were often considered temporary living arrangements. Mobile homes have been around for a long time.

mobile home image

Mobile Homes are now overseen by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), established in 1976. Before HUD became involved, mobile homes were not held to any specific code or manufacturing standard.
HUD provides a nationwide minimum standard specification for mobile homes. One of the requirements that remains to this day is that the frame is an integral part of the structure. The frame is engineered to carry the structural load of the roof and walls. Because of this, the frame must remain under a mobile home and cannot be removed. This nationwide code prohibits state and local authorities from having any jurisdiction over how the home is built. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. However, along with the state and local folks losing authority, so did the homeowner or buyer. There is zero flexibility in the design of a mobile home. Other than cosmetics, you are not able to make changes to your design.

manufactured home image

Modular Homes

Modular homes are the next generation of manufactured homes. Placing the structural engineering under a state and local code provides a means for the states to control and certify that the home meets their criteria. It allows the buyer to have more say over the design parameters. It also allows for the removal of the frame by having the structure engineered to transfer the load calculations to the engineered foundation instead of the transportation frame used in mobile homes. The frame no longer has to be an integral part of the construction.
Modular Homes are built to the same building codes as a site-built home, and the only moving a modular home will do is going down the line in the manufacturing plant and heading to the site. Modular homes are permanently affixed to their foundation, and they are indistinguishable from their site-built counterparts.

Other notable differences between modular homes and mobile homes:

Modular homes…
  • Appraise the same as their on-site built counterparts do; they do not depreciate.
  • Can have some customization.
  • Most modular home companies have in-house engineering departments that utilize CAD (Computer Aided Design).
  • Designs vary in style and size.
  • Modular construction can be used for commercial applications, including office buildings.
  • Are permanent structures — “real property.”
  • Can be built on crawl spaces, basements or pilings.
  • Considered a form of green building.
  • Are faster to build than 100 percent site-built homes.
  • Home loans for modular homes are the same as site-built homes.
  • Insurance premiums for modular homes are the same as site-built homes.
  • Taxes on modular homes are the same as site-built homes.
  • Can be built to withstand 180-mph winds.
  • Can be built for accessible living and designed for future conveniences.
This is a great tidbit! Do you mind sharing the site you found this on?

First of all quit referring to it as an "IRC modular" since there is no such thing. There are IRC dwellings and modular dwellings. Those on the permitting side when the term "modular" is used will be asking for the paperwork that it was built in a factory under a specific code and inspected by a third party inspection agency.
Moving an IRC dwelling should not be an issue
There certainly is IRC and IBC modular. Most jurisdictions have state permitting for the modules and city or county permitting for the entire building. In any case the entire building, including the modules, will need to meet the building code of the jurisdiction which is nearly invariably IBC or IRC depending on the project in the United States.

This is why I always specify "IRC Modular" or "HUD Manufactured" as even building/zoning depts. don't use universal language. Generally the terms used here is Modular for any code built to IRC/IBC codes, and Manufactured for HUD. Mobile or Trailer homes are manufactureds, as well. Seems that many would benefit from well defined and universal terms!
I thought IRC modular made sense. Not sure everyone agrees. Definitely should drop manufactured and factory as they really all are manufactured in a factory. :)

What can I say I am sometimes a "Boomer"
boomer
A person from the baby boomer generation ........ Can also describe someone who is out of touch, typically with technology.

My first post was from personal experience. When I left Florida in 1997 there was a mobile home manufactured prior to 1976, A manufacture home after 1976 regulated by HUD and a Manufactured building regulated by the state of Florida. The term modular was not used in Florida when I was there up unto to the mid 1990's and here in Montana the state refers to them as Factory Built Buildings

IMPORTANT: The term “manufactured” buildings used in this document refers to “modular” buildings built to the Florida Building Code (FBC), as provided for in Ch 553, Part I, Florida Statutes (FS). Modular buildings are different from “manufactured housing/mobile homes” built to the Federal Housing and Urban Development (HUD) standards, which come under the jurisdiction of the Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). Contact DHSMV at 850-617-2808