• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IBC - Intumescent Coating

redbird11

SAWHORSE
Hello,
I've received a code comment to cite where the 2018 IBC allows intumescent coatings for the protection of steel.

I've found 1705.15 under special inspections, but am wondering if there's another section to cite?

Section 703.6. Intumescent coatings are tested to ASTM E119 or UL 263. There is no acceptable material listing--any material applied that can meet the performance criteria (i.e., minimum fire-resistance rating) per the test method is acceptable. If you tested 10 layers of 1/2-inch OSB board around a steel column per ASTM E119 and it met the criteria for one hour, then it is an acceptable 1-hour fire-resistance-rated assembly.

However, keep in mind the manufacturer's product and what they state in their literature. If it is an intumescent "paint," then it probably has not been tested per ASTM E119/UL 263. Also, some manufacturers may state their product is tested per a "modified" ASTM E119. Again, that would not be acceptable. If they do not have a UL listing, I would ask for a copy of their test report. If they refuse, then say good-bye and seek another product.