• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Definition of habitable room, window facing directly to the outdoors

Eliza

Our town has an ordinance stating that every bedroom shall have “a window facing directly to the outdoors”.

What does that mean? Does that mean that the window must open to the outdoors?

Could this requirement be met with an interior bedroom with no window to the outdoors that has a transom window that faces in the direction of the windows that are on the exterior wall?

Hi, thanks for replying.
I would assume that this is for egress purposes, i.e. escaping the bedroom.
There is a proposed development near me with windowless bedrooms. It’s R-2 zoning apparently.

We have town ordinances that say a habitable room needs to have a “window facing directly to the outdoors”.

The developer has added transom windows in the bedroom, but they open into the apartment, not to the outdoors.

I don't think the "directly to the outdoors" refers to which way the window opens, I think it means that the window is on an exterior wall. Meaning a window that "opens" into a sunroom, another room, hallway, etc... would not satisfy the requirement. In the event of a house fire the occupant may not be able to escape through the bedroom door, they would then need to escape out a window. While a window opening inward is weird, I don't think it would prevent the occupant from escaping.

In order to better understand your question are you questioning the design of something to be built, is being built, or has been built? Have you contacted your local building department or code enforcement department?

Our town has an ordinance stating that every bedroom shall have “a window facing directly to the outdoors”.

Could this requirement be met with an interior bedroom with no window to the outdoors that has a transom window that faces in the direction of the windows that are on the exterior wall?
Eliza, the model building codes require that residential bedrooms, sleeping rooms and sleeping areas must have an "emergency egress opening" (window or door) that opens directly to the outside.

While a municipality, town, county or other jurisdiction may additional ordinances and other design requirements, the egress opening requirement is a basic, fundamental requirement.

You may need to clarify the difference between a a bedroom and a "habitable" room. They are not the same.

In addition to what Joe said about the windows a transom window is far from being an accessible escape route. I don't see any way that it can satisfy the requirements.

There is a proposed development near me with windowless bedrooms.
Not trying to be difficult but … how do you know that? Have you seen a floor plan … set of drawings … marketing brochure that labels the room as a bedroom, and no window is shown?

Does the ordinance say that the window must open to the outdoors?

Not trying to be difficult but … how do you know that? Have you seen a floor plan … set of drawings … marketing brochure that labels the room as a bedroom, and no window is shown?
Hi, you are not being difficult.

Yes I have seen the plans. The windowless bedrooms are in the plans plain as day.

Hi, you are not being difficult.

Yes I have seen the plans. The windowless bedrooms are in the plans plain as day.

SECTION 1030 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE

1030.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be provided in the following occupancies:

1. Group R-2 occupancies located in stories with only one exit or access to only one exit as permitted by Tables 1006.3.3(1) and 1006.3.3(2).

2. Group R-3 and R-4 occupancies.

Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have not fewer than one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exceptions:
1. In Groups R-1 and R-2 occupancies constructed of Type I, Type IIA, Type IIIA or Type IV construction equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.

CSU Santa Barbara is proposing the same thing for a multistory dorm, no windows on interior bedrooms, therefore no access to natural light and air. Similar to railroAD FLATS IN New york tenements back in the day. Not healthy.

CSU Santa Barbara is proposing the same thing for a multistory dorm, no windows on interior bedrooms, therefore no access to natural light and air. Similar to railroAD FLATS IN New york tenements back in the day. Not healthy.
Thank you for sharing this! I’m really shocked at how prevalent this type of housing is becoming. Certainly if this was the only option for a person to have shelter, I can understand the need. But when it isn’t absolutely necessary why would we do it? To your point about health, I have found several articles about disturbance of circadian rhythm and several other health risks that can come from living in a room with no natural light and fresh air.