• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CMU Fill Cell Inspection

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is the first time an engineer has specified the location of the inspection openings every 48" vertically. Normally they are just at the bottom. This is a single-family house.

IMG_1456.JPGIMG_1457.JPGIMG_1458.JPG

Recognizing that inspections should be performed in accordance with the building code what is the basis for requiring the engineer supervise the grouting. My understanding is that the inspection would be performed by a special inspector. In addition, there is a difference between supervising and inspecting.

Recognizing that inspections should be performed in accordance with the building code what is the basis for requiring the engineer supervise the grouting. My understanding is that the inspection would be performed by a special inspector. In addition, there is a difference between supervising and inspecting.
I don't see anything to suggest that the engineer is supervising the grouting.
This is the first time an engineer has specified the location of the inspection openings every 48" vertically.
The EoR did specify the location of the inspection openings. Inspection to be done by AHJ or SI.

The IBC (Section 110) does not list masonry inspections by the AHJ but Chapter 17 requires special inspection for grouting.

TheCommish stated that the engineer should supervise the grouting.

Please explain how specifying locations of cleanouts results in the engineer needing to perform inspections instead of the special inspector required by the code.

Agree, there is a clear difference between the two tasks.

Be aware that per TMS 602, intermediate bond beams are not permitted in high lift grouting.

I've only seen inspection openings at the bottom of a wall, not at each lift.