• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gable vents

Karencita42

Good morning all,

I want to add a gable vent to my house on either both sides of the home or maybe just one side. The gable vent will have a fan on it and i will be able to monitor it via phone. What types of permits will I need to pull for this type of project? Do I need an electrical, mechanical, and roofing or just one of the three? As for electrical, there is an existing outlet in the attic and I was planning on pluging the fan to that outlet. Also, do I need to have two gable fans, one on each side of the home, or will one suffice.

My house has 1500sq feet of living space and approx 2200 of roof as I have a patio that is covered and is part of the main roof of the home.

As always, any information and assistance is greatly appreciated.

If it is a plug-and-play, no additional electrical, and you are not cutting into a structural gable end truss, then I would not require any permits.

There needs to be a source for fresh air for the single fan to cool down the attic so a vent at the other end would be one way to achieve that. The fan might come from the factory with a cord and plug, but the cord might not reach the existing receptacle in which case an additional receptacle would be required. Do not use an extension cord.

Technically, an additional receptacle would require an electrical permit.

Last edited by a moderator:
There needs to be a source for fresh air for the single fan to cool down the attic so a vent at the other end would be one way to achieve that. The fan might come from the factory with a cord and plug, but the cord might not reach the existing receptacle in which case an additional receptacle would be required. Do not use an extension cord.

Technically, an additional receptacle would require an electrical permit.
Thank you!

All gable end trusses have a support directly in the middle. Being able to cut that support to install a gable end vent will depend on a couple of factors. One being the length of the truss and the pitch of the roof. Also you are in a hurricane high wind zone and gable end failures are common in that area depending on when your home was built. If you can install the vents and fan without cutting the center support I would recommend going that route.

Depends on if you put in a solar-powered one in my community if it is under 1000 dollars, and it's solar-powered, and you're not hooking to the grid it would not require a permit. This administrative law in the last 20 years it has gotten completely out of hand in our community there is still private property rights, and thank god for the Supreme court EPA ruling that will question ALL Administrative law now .
What I would worry about would be on the vent is with the weather you get there would be blowing rain from your bad weather that could be a problem,, good luck
Good morning all,

I want to add a gable vent to my house on either both sides of the home or maybe just one side. The gable vent will have a fan on it and i will be able to monitor it via phone. What types of permits will I need to pull for this type of project? Do I need an electrical, mechanical, and roofing or just one of the three? As for electrical, there is an existing outlet in the attic and I was planning on pluging the fan to that outlet. Also, do I need to have two gable fans, one on each side of the home, or will one suffice.

My house has 1500sq feet of living space and approx 2200 of roof as I have a patio that is covered and is part of the main roof of the home.

As always, any information and assistance is greatly appreciated.

iction