• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

4 Day Work Week

We do a 4 day week here. Half of the staff work Mon-Thurs and the other half work Tues-Fri.

Works fairly well.

We switched to 4 days in 2014, M, W, T 730 to 5p, Tuesday 730 to 7p
in this area most town have a late day to accommodate "working people"

Prior to the change we worked M, W, T 730 to 330 Tuesday 730 to 330 then 6 to 8p and Friday 730 to Noon except for inspections foot traffic was slim on Fridays

Many building departments in BC offer a flex day off every 2 weeks, I assume that in larger departments this could be any day of the week depending on seniority. The base week for most inspectors is 35hrs.
I am working a modified schedule so that I get every third Friday off, my work day is 7am to 3:30pm, this works well for my family and the contractors seem to like having access to early morning inspections, especially for pouring concrete.
When my kids are just a bit older I plan to request every second Friday off, this should put my workday at 7am to 4pm.

6:30 to 5:00 with 6 multi-disciplined inspectors. 4 inspectors off on Friday with 2 off on Monday's. Fridays are typically slow with the majority of contractors not working that day or only 1/2 day.
Office staff one works Mon - Thur 9 hours (6:30 to 4:00) with 1/2 day on Friday. The other one works 5 days 8-5 which is her choice since she has young children to get to school.

We give 50 hours of service in a 40-hour work week.

What about office staff, do they split the week as well?

What size department, number of inspectors and plan reviewers?
Our office staff tried it, but didn't like it.

Just two building officials to account for here.

If one is out on vacation, the other one just switches to a regular work week to make sure there is coverage.

One of the municipalities we service went to 4 days a week and now the Pa legislature is talking a game of 32hr week being considered FT. That part will likely not never see the light of day but it’s creating the conversation in many departments and businesses.

When I started out as a Sheetmetal apprentice in the 70's we worked 5 days a week 7 hours per day for a number of years.
My first government job was 5 days a week 7.5 hours per day.
Both were established to help keep people employed during the down times and both agreed upon by the workers. Over time they both went back to a 40-hour work week.

I agree that in many fields 4 day work weeks work great, inspections and construction being a couple of them however, there are certain jobs/industries where it's not practical nor feasible. Such things as production lines that must run continuously etc. I'm afraid that if the four-day workweek really catches on it's going to create a great divide between groups of people even worse than we have today between blue-and-white collar working groups.

We do a 4 day week here. Half of the staff work Mon-Thurs and the other half work Tues-Fri.

Another option with the scheduling is a 4-day weekend every other weekend, especially where we live, and the summer months are short. Employees get in days off during the summer months without using up vacation time.

1st week Mon thru Thursday, 4-day weekend, 2nd week, Tues thru Friday, 2-day weekend, 3rd week, Monday thru Thursday again