• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Approved Drain Pans

Francis Vineyard

504. I'm at a lost to not allow PVC piping from plastic drain pans that are predominantly in use that have the same softening or melting point. What are your thoughts?

In my research I found that there were no replies to a similar question on the old ICC board, as always; appreciate your inputs.

504 of the IPC talks about the pan under the water heater which requires a galvanized metal pan. Is this what you are referring too?

504.7 Required pan.

Where water heaters or hot water storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage, or other pans approved for such use.

The plastic ones are usually approved for use under electric water heaters only

504.7; “or other pans approved for such use.” Some of these pans that are predominantly in use, made of various plastic compositions; polymers, high impact styrene and PVC, all apparently have similar melting point or vicat of PVC.

504.7.1; “Piping for safety pan drains shall be of those materials listed in Table 605.4.” PVC is not allowed.

I believe the safety aspect is the PVC will break down should the TRV releases owing to water temperature above 180 degrees, so if the pan has similar vicat or melting point what the difference if the pan discharge pipe is PVC?

This seems to be a safety issue more than protection of structure for this requirement that appears to lacking in consistency. I may be wrong about that too.

Two different issues Francis. The pan is catching water and for electric water heaters may be "other approved for such use" such as plastics. Gas water heaters should be installed in metal pans and is usually referenced by the water heater manufacturer. 504.7.1 is talking about the hot water from the tank and section 605.4 is specific to piping materials approved for water distribution which is why pvc was removed from the table.

Kind of your call regarding if you "approve" the material. Can't use PVC pipes for hot water or pressure........