• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Update-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

V767

Bronze Member
Hey Guys,

Long time not talk. Sorry but things (sounds like an excuse, but really it isn't, or maybe it is...anyway) have been quite hectic around here with Conference, post-Conference and then I was at Greenbuild last month too. Now, the holidays are upon us and we are all pushing hard to try and get the new BB going and approved so we can start building it and testing it.

The phase that we are in right now is still the approval phase. Some things have changed (nothing drastic, but enough to keep us busy on our end) but we are hoping that soon we will see some changes to the website and the current COIs.

I cannot guarantee any timelines or dates of launch. They keep me in the dark about that kind of stuff and just say, "Ok here we go!"

I thoroughly appreciate the patience and understand the impatience. I had a chance to speak to a few members at Conference and had some great talks with them.

As soon as I know anything, you guys will be the first to know.

Happy Holidays and be safe traveling everyone.

V767

Say no more; I can think of no more relevant or understandable excuse for not getting a BB built than attending Greenbuild...

Hey, don't be so hard on V767.

He hasn't had time to work on the new BB.

He's too busy blogging about how Columbus Day is a "stupid holiday" and how Christopher Columbus "established a massively long history of Anglo-manipulation of natives". V767 even calls Columbus a "****head" and a "jack***".

When V767 isn't busy tearing down America, he's spending lots of time denigrating Sarah Palin, Fox News, and the "asinine" Tea Party.

In summary, V767 is just another liberal journalist and Obama sycophant, attending leftist events (Greenbuild), living in a leftist utopia (Chicago), and working for a leftist organization (ICC).

But, don't take my word for it, read his blog.

Well Pack, this IS America. A person has a right to speak their mind whether I agree with them or not. It doesn't harm me or cut off my leg if the kid believes Columbus was an ***... which by all accounts he was. It also doesn't mean he cannot perform his job, which is the personal attack you are making. For the second time today, I don't know which party is more distasteful or shows the poorest judgement. There isn't a prize for the biggest knothead.

Bill,

Much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
RJJ said:
Lets back off of the politics! Stay to code issues. ICC just can't seem to manage the simple things.
RJJ; I personally get tired of all the conservative vs liberal BS, but I would respectfully ask you to consider that this IS the "off-topic" section of the forum. Do what you feel is necessary as a mod, but given the other wild and irrelevant topics that have been discussed here, I'd suggest letting them play. Just my opinion.

DRP said:
Well Pack, this IS America. A person has a right to speak their mind whether I agree with them or not. It doesn't harm me or cut off my leg if the kid believes Columbus was an ***... which by all accounts he was. It also doesn't mean he cannot perform his job, which is the personal attack you are making. For the second time today, I don't know which party is more distasteful or shows the poorest judgement. There isn't a prize for the biggest knothead.
I didn't see anyone saying that they didn't have a right to speak their mind, here or off-forum. The fact remains that it is interesting to know who we're dealing with here, and the references to the opinions on the blog give us such insight.

Just as your opinions of my posts might be influenced if I hosted a Neo-Nazi blog, so mine, and others might be influenced given the information Pack posted.

With that said, I don't think anyone here takes V the Visitor too seriously anyway, given his employer and his obvious lack of any authority and obvious inability to produce results. His ridiculous ramblings in a blog are probably moot anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
i say let the politicos play! we have to be so politically correct in the work environment that it is stress relief to come to off topics and let your hair down. i enjoy the banter personally and someday i may want to declare if i am a (A)liberal,(B)conservative ,© independent, (D)green, (E)other or(F) all of the above! i'm leaning towards all of the above :mrgreen:

packsaddle said:
Hey, don't be so hard on V767.He hasn't had time to work on the new BB.

He's too busy blogging about how Columbus Day is a "stupid holiday" and how Christopher Columbus "established a massively long history of Anglo-manipulation of natives". V767 even calls Columbus a "****head" and a "jack***".

When V767 isn't busy tearing down America, he's spending lots of time denigrating Sarah Palin, Fox News, and the "asinine" Tea Party.

In summary, V767 is just another liberal journalist and Obama sycophant, attending leftist events (Greenbuild), living in a leftist utopia (Chicago), and working for a leftist organization (ICC).

But, don't take my word for it, read his blog.
First of all, my opinions on my own material have nothing to do with what I do for a living, a job, sir.

I thank you for you pointing these things in an attempt to degrade what I do for a living and my overall character.

Please feel free to not attempt to do that again.

Likewise, I am told to go places and cover events that ICC is a part of, it is what I do.

I do not handle the overall construct of the new BB, so I apologize for any inconvenience, but would appreciate a little more respect.

Thanks

V767

Texasbo: I always respect your opinions! I have never shut down a post and at times have wanted to insert more of my own beliefs. It seems politics and religion are offensive to some. These issues do play into our codes and discussions. Off Topics is a place for such things,but positions need not be degrading to others or as permitguy said rude! And Yes this is America! Freedom of speech is totally allowed.

I will not close anything unless it gets out of hand. I feel we all do a good job of policing each other. At heart we all have a certian level of common respect for each other. That is one reason why this BB functions so well. Most importantly each member has a voice that is equal to the next persons. I say again, just back off and not be so focused on the political or religious issues. I also, say and believe that readers have a right to skip any post they do not want to read. There are plenty of great posts and topics to choose from. It is just like reading the news paper. If a subject doesn't suite you skip it.

RJJ:

The problem is that the codes are going political, the Green Code is the political agenda of the Green Party, how can we help but talk about politics if we are having to abide by and enforce political agenda?

Wikipedia said:
Ideology The Green Party of the United States of America emphasizes environmentalism, non-hierarchical participatory democracy, social justice, respect for diversity, peace and nonviolence. Their "Ten Key Values," which are described as non-authoritative guiding principles, are as follows:

1. Grassroots democracy
  2. Social justice and equal opportunity
  3. Ecological wisdom
  4. Nonviolence
  5. Decentralization
  6. Community-based economics
  7. Feminism and gender equality
  8. Respect for diversity
  9. Personal and global responsibility
  10. Future focus and sustainability
The Green Party does not accept donations from corporations. Thus, the party's platforms and rhetoric critiques any corporate influence and control over government, media, and American society at large.¹
¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_%28United_States%29

conarb said:
RJJ:The problem is that the codes are going political, the Green Code is the political agenda of the Green Party, how can we help but talk about politics if we are having to abide by and enforce political agenda?

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_%28United_States%29
Tilting at windmills

images

Mark:

I may be tilting at windmills as far as implementation of these political codes, but in my old age I do mostly expert testimony and it looks like a ton of work testifying against the architects and contractors who design and build these structures.

Greenbuild said:
There were many compelling sessions at the USGBC Greenbuild conference, but I focused on sessions that discussed policy, local government, and risk transfer. I would like to start with the session on risk transfer. But rather than go into what the speakers presented (which only scratched the surface), I thought it would be a good to dig deeper and review and summarize what we have stated previously on the CGBB. When going for LEED, Greenpoint Rated, or any other certification, make sure to pay close attention to the following areas:

- Scope of work. Make sure the scope of work is clearly defined. If you’re going for a specific certification, LEED, GreenPoint Rated, or other, cut and paste the requirements right into the specifications in the contract. Also, you’re going to need to specify who is responsible for review and inspection of each item, and who is responsible for documentation and preservation. High-performance buildings require a new level of inspection, and the heightened level of liability for these tasks must be detailed in the contract. Failure to properly document materials for construction is one of the top reasons buildings fail to get proper certification.

- Incentives and rebates. Make sure it is clear who is responsible for applying for and securing incentives and rebates for products and efficiencies.

- Standard of care. The AIA recently issued form contract B214–2007 for architects working on LEED buildings. That form specifies the standard of care architects should observe when designing a LEED building. After the AIA contract, there’s not a lot of guidance, so make sure your contract is specific regarding ALL parties on the project.

- Review specifics with your surety. Make sure your surety is committed to building a green building…not many are convinced of the added value in green buildings. Sureties will not help you build an independently certified building unless you clearly specify such in the contract.

- Value engineering. Don’t go through the process of value engineering without reviewing how this might effect your LEED or GreenPoint Rated application. Know your materials, and make sure there are no substitutions without a clear understanding of the implications. This goes for projects that use BIM software too. If the project uses BIM, make sure liability is clearly assigned for any changes that may result in issues, and make sure the liable party is aware of the implications changes may have of third party certifications.

Arguably, the greatest risk to constructing a high-performance building is in the contract documents themselves. Make sure the documents are precise and reflect exactly what needs to happen. All parties need to be informed of their responsibilities, AND liabilities.

Stay tuned for more from Greenbuild – future posts will reflect more of actual session content…I promise.¹
It looks like value-engineering is out so it looks like "affordability" is out and building is going to be very expensive.

¹ http://californiagreenbuildingblog.com/category/build-it-green-green-point-rated/

Mark, was that no horses??? What the He!!??? Lets get something straight here gents. Codes have always been political. Nothing has changed in 2,000 years as my Dad has told me. (And don't even think about badmouthing Dad) Politics & whoring.

jpranch said:
Mark, was that no horses???
No, It means, no Don Quixote's attacking windmills beliving they are the enemy, The novel ends with Don Quixote regaining his full sanity. We can only hope some on this board do the same......

Status
Not open for further replies.