• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

International Green Construction Code

I have a copy of this 221 page document and I am being told to read it.

Before I get started, can anyone tell me if this standard for building features has been adopted by anyone else out there?

Or is this standard simply a rough draft or good idea?

Thanks

ICC Certified Building Plan Reviewer

Two or three larger city's have adopted a portion of the green code here in Texas. Our city leaders looked at it and then said naaaaaaa not at this time! I think a lot of it is hog wash!

How daft am I?

There is the IECC and then there is the IGCC. Energy versus Green

What is the difference are why not roll both of these into one standard?

Call it International Sustainability...

BPA said:
There is the IECC and then there is the IGCC. Energy versus GreenWhat is the difference are why not roll both of these into one standard?

Call it International Sustainability...
You hit the nail on the head BPA, it the agenda of the one-world government people, the Greenies fight the energy nuts at every turn, the birdie people are fighting the wind people, the lizard people are fighting the solar people.

They block us from drilling for oil so we have to import oil, we still export as much oil as we import, the international corporations make money shipping it back and forth, the international money traders (George Soros et. al.) make money trading the currencies using the do-gooders and ignorant to promote their wealth. Meanwhile we are building toxic green buildings built with formaldehyde-laden products while sealing those buildings up to save energy, about the only "environmental" thing this is doing is giving people cancer killing them off earlier reducing the world's population to the wishes of the Gaians who want man off the earth. Meanwhile the poor architects and builders building to these new codes are the ones getting sued for poisoning people, the formaldehyde levels in million dollar plus homes build in areas with green codes are higher than the FEMA trailers we heard so much about.

Examiner said:
GreenPoint Rated homes may also have more engineered wood than conventional homes. Engineered wood is good for the environment, because it uses less virgin timber. However, many engineered wood products are bonded with resins that emit formaldehyde gas. Pink and yellow Fiberglas insulation is also bonded with formaldehyde resin. The combination of greater formaldehyde emission along with inadequate ventilation can set the stage for very unhealthy homes. Many of the GreenPoint homes had more formaldehyde than the Katrina FEMA trailers that caused so much illness.¹
California's much touted low VOC products aren't cutting it, we now have low VOC OSB that mold is growing out of before the homes are closed in, apparently the formaldehyde kept the mold spores from activating (although that's speculation at this point).

For the Super Bowl instead of dressing up young men in body armor representing various cities to fight it out for public entertainment, we ought to do like the Romans did for entertainment when they threw the Christians to the Lions, we should throw various Greenies and energy nuts into our coliseums and let them fight it out for sport and the entertainment of the masses.

When you said "Call it International Sustainability" you hit the nail right on the head, most people are too brainwashed by our eduction system to connect the dots.

¹ http://www.examiner.com/environmental-health-in-san-jose/national-conference-discusses-formaldehyde-los-altos-homes

Rhode Island has adopted for public buildings

The Rhode Island Green Buildings Act identifies the IGCC as an equivalent standard in compliance with requirements that all public agency major facility projects be designed and constructed as green buildings. The Rules and Regulations to implement the Act take effect in October.

It is still in the development process with public version 2 available. I have not gone through version 2 but I hope it fixed some of the "do whats?!?" in version 1.

It is going through the code change process and will be part of the 2012 series of I codes.

Got my IgCC plan review and inspector certifications in the mail last week.

Hey everyone, adding a little something into this hoping it helps clear some point up.

IGCC Public Versions are resource tools for jurisdictions considering adoption or amendment of regulations for green and high-performance construction. The IGCC applies to new and existing, traditional and high-performance buildings. It includes ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1 as a jurisdictional compliance option.

Coordinated with the ICC family of codes, the IGCC is designed to go beyond traditional code requirements for communities that are pursuing a sustainability goal. The IGCC has been adopted by the state of Rhode Island (http://www.iccsafe.org/newsroom/News%20Releases/NR-092710-RI-1st-State.pdf) and the city of Richland, Washington (http://www.iccsafe.org/newsroom/News%20Releases/NR0802Richland_WA_IGCC_Recognition.pdf).

Thanks

V767

It is another book, workbook, commentary, checksheet, significant changes book, seminar, certification test, etc. they can sell.

$$$$$$$$$$