• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC Communication

fatboy

Administrator
FYI................

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:57 PM

Subject: Discussion Forum Progress

All,

Long-time no talk, which I deeply apologize for.

Last time we all had a discussion about a Discussion Forum, there were promises made and promises broken. Since the website shutdown in September of last year, ICC re-evaluated its priorities on website development and the Discussion Forum project got pushed back and back....and back.

I am reaching out to all of you, letting you know the project is back on, and by on I mean truly on. We would greatly appreciate all of your assistance in the progression of this project.

I comprehend the hesitation toward joining this project again, and do not blame anyone for not jumping right back into it.

But no one is more excited about this than I am and I wouldn't be contacting you if I didn't actually have some idea of progress. I don't have a link to share, as we just have begun to break ground on the project.

So, when you get a chance, call me at 888-422-7233 ext. 4377 or 708-833-3566 (which you can all anytime) to let me know you are on board. If you aren't board, I would still appreciate the opporunity to talk with each and everyone of you through something else other than email.

Friday is our deadline and if I don't hear from you by then, I will be calling you to verify.

Thank you for your previous assistance and I hope to thank you all in future again for aiding in this project.

Kyle J. Volenik

Web Content Editor

International Code Council

Chicago District Office

4051 W. Flossmoor Road

Country Club Hills, IL 60478

Ph. 888.icc.safe (422.7233) ext. 4377

kvolenik@iccsafe.org

www.iccsafe.org

Email Disclaimer

The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for use by the designated recipient. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your system.

Kyle, my reaction to this email doesn't even hit luke-warm status, it is really closer to ice cold. Not blaming you Kyle, I think you were being used, and still are, as a sacrificial lamb. ICC left us dangling out there, without a care, I personally think they were waiting in some part, to see if our fledgling forum would survive. Well, it has survived, actually it is thriving. Strong leadership, and commitment to succeed, go a long way. Along with the ability to reach out and ask for help, and accept it, when it is needed.

I'm really not sure what my position will be, I will contact you.

fatboy

fatboy,

We have been down this road before......IMO, as of today, whether or not

they [ meaning The Cow ] even exists is a non-issue, much less of some

"Latest, Greatest Attempt" at some type of user friendly forum they are

again, trying to market, ...to woo previous members back to.

I agree that Kyle probably is a sacrificial offering to the masses......I

wish him all the best.

This latest communication has an "all too familiar smell to it"! :beatdhrs

Lucy tees up the ball.

Charlie Brown winds up for the kick.

And brudgers asks, "how hard is it to install vBulletin?"

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance. Unfortunately, I don't think, even Google, knows the extent of the ICC's ignorance. Maybe we need a new Forum sub-group dedicated to the ICC website development.

My vote is to put it directly under "Palaearctic-African Songbird Migration" and call it the "Knights Who Say Neigh."

Last edited by a moderator:
I would find it difficult to participate in an ICC discussion board when they went to such an extreme measure to alienate everybody when they booted us all out of their original board. After all that a few have done to welcome EVERYONE to this site and not be heavy-handed in monitoring content, it would almost seem traitorous to assist ICC in redeveloping their own board once again. After having been kicked in the shin I rarely go back for another more "centered" shot.

The most simple and cost effective solution for the ICC is a simple announcement

ICC is no longer hosting its own Code Discussion Board. We're partnering with the Building Codes Forum, which is handling this. Please also note that ICC members and non-members are all welcomed and will need to setup a new account for this board. Click on the link to get started

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/content.php

Stated:

"ICC is no longer hosting its own Code Discussion Board.We're partnering with the Building Codes Forum, which is handling this.

Please also note that ICC members and non-members are all welcomed

and will need to setup a new account for this board. Click on the link

to get started http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/content.php"
Commendable suggestion mltlogcabin! I, for one, believe that it willnot be possible for ICC to offer such a suggestion though! To do so,

would take a much higher level of humility from whoever is in

charge today. Also, marketing the Humility Card; not actually

doing it mind you, might make some of their "Federal Bed Buddies"

uncomfortable. Afterall, they are not in the business of being

transparent, of offering full disclosure, nor having any integrity.

As a suggestion, I would say let us all actively engage in making this

forum a positive example for the world to look up to, and to openly &

regularly give thanks to Jeff for stepping up, ...B I G !!!

brudgers said:
Lucy tees up the ball.Charlie Brown winds up for the kick.

And brudgers asks, "how hard is it to install vBulletin?"
Right, how about quietly installing a vBulletin open forum and allowing it to grow naturally. No more fan fare. There likely would be discussion started from people who don't know of this board, or from a range of people from the variety of boards that are out there (including this one) if it were usable.

Why oh why would anyone suggest that ICC should "partner" with this board? Bad idea from both perspectives.

It could have been done so long ago.........like the day after they took the old board down, and pi$$ed a bunch of people off.

brudgers said:
Lucy tees up the ball.Charlie Brown winds up for the kick.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on this matter.

Agree with Yankee on the "partnering" idea. A VERY bad idea indeed!

They have a free positive example of a model that works,

unfortunately, they cannot, and IMO, WILL NOT implement something

for the masses, because they simply will not look outside their own

greedy, "self only" mentality to actually give a rip about the people

who they are trying to market to. To me, it is very clear where The

Cow's interests are, and it ain't on other people.

There is a good reason why they are named The Cash Cow!

As for me, I ain't going back! This Forum is THE ONLY PLACE to

be!

To Kyle: I would encourage you to find another employer, sooner

rather than later.

I understand there are a lot of hard feelings toward ICC by some on this board (and I can understand why) but IMHO, of the 1200 people signed on here, the percentage of people that have permanently turned away from ICC is relatively quite a small number of that 1200, and and even smaller percentage of ICC membership. It's still there and many still look to ICC for . . . a lot of things.

Fatboy, thanks for posting this...even though my disclaimer stats you can do otherwise :p

It saved me a few steps, but I would have preferred you at least taking my cell out for now, I mean, now that is just out there, and for everybody, lol. Now I am going to get countless phone calls from telemarketers and what not, lol. What will I ever do?

Kidding aside, I thoroughly enjoy the energetic conversation on here everybody. I really and truly do. And I look forward to continuing this conversation as we continue to progress toward the initial launch of this project.

V767

My offer to set up vBulletin for the ICC still stands.

And I still accept paypal.

Brudgers,

I am glad the offer still stands but we are going another route.

However, if you would like to be part of of the progression of this project in other ways, feel free to PM. Or you can just look at the OP and find my contact info there.

Cheers.

V767

Interesting, in posting my reply I edited out some other references, never even thought about your disclaimer, actually didn't read it to be honest. Sorry if it causes you any inconvienience or discomfort.

Edit: Oh wait, I was within my rights...........I was the intended recipient, so I believe I was within my rights to repost this.

The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for use by the designated recipient. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of us who went to Denver left with a more or less positive feeling; I'm willing to try with them. I'll try the Beta test site; if it doesn't work, it doesn't. In any event, I'll stay here (may reference back and forth when pertinent topics arise).

Had a nice chat with Kyle this afternoon; he understands our disappointment.

I was asked to help with their board and only learned of this one in Denver. I assumed you all were contentedly inside and simply went back to work. The timeline for launching a new board was theirs and they failed to meet it. That has in no way harmed any of us. My commitment has no time limit. My interest is in education, they do have unique resources to offer. I have no problem with 2 boards, or 20. I'd like to see those who started help finish the job, some might even be in a position soon to really help. I hope those of us who agreed to help will consider the greater good over any personal angst.

I see tonight we've taken contractor's to task yet again. When one is in need of mentoring or advice he will probably end up over there first. I'd like to unlock the door and have a light on.

peach said:
Had a nice chat with Kyle this afternoon; he understands our disappointment.
Nothing personal, but I don't think he really CAN understand our disappointment. His involvement with ICC is completely different than those of us who are dependent upon it for our credentials, which in turn affects our livelihood. Many of us feel that the ICC turned on us, another 'we know better than you' situation where those in the field are essentially dismissed by those in positions of power. Glad you had a chat, at this point I will continue to deal with the ICC only as necessary, not one iota more.

At one time, I tried to join the ICC. I was told that as a contractor, I did not meet thier qualifications. I understand that their standards have changed. Mine have not. Was it Groucho who said I would not join an orginization that would have me?

all you need to join ICC is $$ - join as an associate. I maintain my ICC personal membership for a lot of reasons.. maybe mostly the bookstore discounts. ICC is the most widely known code group in the world, so there is also a benefit of association.. my 2 cents.