• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-3 hood systems

inspecterbake said:
If you are using the IRC what code section would you use just curious.
R109.1.5 Other inspections. In addition to the called inspections above, the building official may make or require any other inspections to ascertain compliance with this code and other laws enforced by the building official.

cda said:
We have an amendment for any hood/ extinguishing system needs a permit
What's the language in the amendment? Amending what: IMC, IFC, IRC? Since you mention extinguishing systems I am led to think Type I hood.

If I called for a Type 1 hood in a residence I would expect that it be permitted and inspected as a Type 1 hood, but whether or not it is a separate permit is a Department call. I'd likely call to find out. I would not expect that a residential inspector would be up to speed with all of the requirements that flow from the decision to install a Type I hood.

Why I might call for and detail a commercial hood with fire suppression in a residence is another matter.

Is this R-3, or IRC?

Either way, we'd require a permit and inspections. Periodic inspection, testing and maintenance would be an interesting prospect. We have a hard enough time with full-blown commercial kitchen operations fulfilling their obligations in this regard.

inspecterbake said:
If you are using the IRC what code section would you use just curious.
Wouldn't you just slip over to the IMC and IFC for requirements pertaining to a Type I hood?

2009 IRC

SECTION M1301 GENERAL M1301.1 Scope. The provisions of this chapter shall govern the installation of mechanical systems not specifically covered in other chapters applicable to mechanical systems. Installations of mechanical appliances, equipment and systems not addressed by this code shall comply with the applicable provisions of the International Mechanical Code and the International Fuel Gas Code.

If they have a hood suppression system it sounds like they may have some heavy duty cooking equipment under it. If they do, it has to be tested and listed for use in a residential occupancy.

G2447.2 (623.2) Prohibited location. Cooking appliances

designed, tested, listed and labeled for use in commercial occupancies

shall not be installed within dwelling units or within

any area where domestic cooking operations occur.

During insurance inspections I have found these Wolf Stoves installed in a number of high end homes with a residential range hood installed over top. The Manufaturer states commercial use only. I have no idea what the cook on them or how often. Kinda reminds me of what Tim the Tool Man would have in his kitchen if he designed it.http://www.wolfstoves.com/Wolf/Commercial/Comndr/36Commander.html''>http://www.wolfstoves.com/Wolf/Commercial/Comndr/36Commander.html' rel="external nofollow">

http://www.wolfstoves.com/Wolf/Commercial/Comndr/36Commander.html

Chapter 24 of the IRC - Fuel Gas Code

G2447.2 (623.2) Prohibited location. Cooking appliances

designed, tested, listed and labeled for use in commercial occupancies

shall not be installed within dwelling units or within

any area where domestic cooking operations occur.