• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

If not I-3, then what?

Just John

Bronze Member
Group I-3. This occupancy shall include buildings and structures which are inhabited by more than five persons who are under restraint or security.

Question: If I have a TSA holding room that detains 5 or less - What is the occupancy group? I-3 specifically says more than 5.

Then if A-3 is 3000 square feet, holding room is 100 square feet, no sprinkler and you can lock detainees in?

From the `06 IBC, Section 303: "A-3 Assembly uses intended for worship, recreation

or amusement and other assembly uses not classified elsewhere in Group A including,

but not limited to:"

408.2 requires that "provisions are made for the release of occupants at all times". .... a little vague, but but it gives you authority to require some sort of fail safe system.

Just John said:
Then if A-3 is 3000 square feet, holding room is 100 square feet, no sprinkler and you can lock detainees in?
Yes you can as long as some one nearby has the key to let them out in event of fire