• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Venting of Floor Drains

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Nothing has caused us more problems than trying to enforce venting of floor drains, whether onsite inspections or during plan review. It is like this is a new concept. How do you folks do in this area?

Same problems here. It is posible to vent floor drains, you just never see what you need to see on the iso's for you to pass plan review. Then when you comment, the DP wants to ask you how you want it designed.

Great articles on 2009 IPC venting

Are you using the IPC or the UPC? We're still stuck with the UPC here in WA, but I hear there are some new methods for circuit venting floor drains that might help. Lee Clifton with ICC did a series of 4 articles just on venting in the IPC. I saved a couple in case WA sobers up and joins the rest of the country. Here's one that might help. If it's not the right one you can probably find it at ICC safe online.

Oops, too big of a file to post - you can find it at http://bsj.iccsafe.org/august/august_PDFs/augbsj_methods_venting_plumbfixtures4.pdf

Nice link. Floor drain venting just seems to be a constant issue and we don't know how to educate the plumbers or spread the word. Had a 40 minute phone conversation with an engineer over this issue and had to tell him to read the book already.

Another problem that I run into with floor drains is that the floor doesn't slope towards the drain. The plans never mention this. I point it out at the underfloor inspection and it still gets missed. Invariably I hear "We have never heard of this before."

jar546 said:
Nothing has caused us more problems than trying to enforce venting of floor drains, whether onsite inspections or during plan review. It is like this is a new concept. How do you folks do in this area?
Hit them at plan review (riser diagram is a requirement for all commercial projects with new plumbing fixtures) and hit them at ground work inspection...top-out inspection is usually too late.

jar546 said:
To get specific, how do you gain compliance with IPC 905?
905 confuses the issue of floor drains in most cases it is imposible to get a 45% rise to 6 inches above the flood rim, you need to look further to 912. Combination drain venting

Before the I-Codes (UCC as known in Pa.), it was common to oversize the floor drains. Oversizing in addition with the fresh air vent was sufficient. Now we are talking general floor drain not specific purpose floor drain.

If the drain is within 5 feet of a wall the pipe can be run towards the wall and a vent run up the wall. The drain can also be tied into a drain line that is wet vented. I believe you're still allowed to use a combination drain & vent, which means oversizing the drain 2 pipe sizes. It can be done, but takes some creativity.

ICE said:
Another problem that I run into with floor drains is that the floor doesn't slope towards the drain. The plans never mention this. I point it out at the underfloor inspection and it still gets missed. Invariably I hear "We have never heard of this before."
Would you please direct me to the section requiring slope to floor drain?

I do not think there is any language in the plumbing code to specify this as it could vary depending on the application. One of the architectural pages in a set of plans should address this however.