• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

5-8-12

Never trust anyone else for your safety.

DSCN3797.jpg

DSCN3798.jpg

The person that called me complained that the street was blocked for a few hours last Saturday by a crane. The crane was used to set this 12'x16' Tuff shed in the front yard.

The property owner inherited the shed. He said it was to be used a play house for his grandchildren. He suspects that a neighbor called the building dept. He asked me what he should do and I suggested a bigger crane that can reach the back yard. In the long run, that free shed will cost more than it's worth.

DSCN3825.jpg

DSCN3822.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
You have all eaten in one of this chains 35,000 restaurants.
DSCN3813.jpg
Fryers look different when they are tipped over, don't they? Looks like the work of a clown.

ICE said:
The person that called me complained that the street was blocked for a few hours last Saturday by a crane. The crane was used to set this 12'x16' Tuff shed in the front yard.The property owner inherited the shed. He said it was to be used a play house for his grandchildren. He suspects that a neighbor called the building dept. He asked me what he should do and I suggested a bigger crane that can reach the back yard. In the long run, that free shed will cost more than it's worth.

DSCN3825.jpg

DSCN3822.jpg
If it's behind the building line is it still a problem? It looks to be even with the front of the house? Also... is it excempt from permits? Under 200 sq. ft.

Mule said:
If it's behind the building line is it still a problem? It looks to be even with the front of the house? Also... is it excempt from permits? Under 200 sq. ft.
It looks great huh. So planning has a say in that. 120 square feet is our cut-off for a permit. With this guy's luck, he'll have to dig up the sewer too.

our front setbacks are 20' or 60' for unattached accessory buildings. attach the thing to the house and problem goes away.

Engineers can make the impossible possible.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

8" thick slab, #4 bar 6"oc., 4000psi concrete. All that for an electrical equipment pad at a cellular tower site.

They failed for lack of impalement protection and no ufer.

IMG_0463.jpg

You do OSHA inspections too?? I didn't think the codes said anything about caps on re-bar.

If the verticals are tied into the grid why could you not bond there?

Great pictures keep them coming. I've a lot of things in my career but some of your pictures blow me away with the 'creativity' of some people.

pyrguy said:
You do OSHA inspections too?? I didn't think the codes said anything about caps on re-bar. If the verticals are tied into the grid why could you not bond there?
It has to be safe enough for me to be there. I have met too many people that have been impaled. And yes we do enforce OSHA regs to the extent that we have been trained. That includes excavations, ladders, scaffolding, electrical and a few more. While the focus is on our own safety, I am concerned about the safety of others and it shows. Any time anyone questions my authority to enforce OSHA regs I tell them to ask OSHA about that. I even offer to call OSHA from the job site. So far, nobody has taken me up on my offer.

The vertical steel that you see is inside a CMU wall and not long enough in the footing.

ICE said:
8" thick slab, #4 bar 6"oc., 4000psi concrete. All that for an electrical equipment pad at a cellular tower site.They failed for lack of impalement protection and no uffer.

IMG_0463.jpg
Is a ufer required in your jurisdiction? It would seem so, but thought I'd ask anyway.

imhotep said:
Is a ufer required in your jurisdiction? It would seem so, but thought I'd ask anyway.
If it is available, per the NEC, it must be used.

This is a temporary restroom at a Wal-Mart during a remodel.

I figured that the odds of getting sued for lack of ADA was less than the likelihood of getting sued for indecent exposure. There is no latch on the door and the urinal is right there in a kid's face.

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

The home owner didn't like the noise the furnace made so several years ago, he got busy with some sheet metal. The contractor that installed the replacement furnace didn't remove the sheet metal because he knows that there shall be a separation of the return air and combustion air. What he didn't do is provide a source of combustion air.

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

ICE said:
The vertical steel that you see is inside a CMU wall and not long enough in the footing.
It looks like those uprights are tied to the footing steel. If so - now you have plenty of bar in the footing. There's nothing that I know of that says the bar that comes up has to be a certain length in the footing - just connected to at least 20'.

Darren,

All of that steel will be in the walls and not available for a ufer.

The bottom leg on the verts is usually short enough to fit in the trench (8" to 12") and that limits its connection to the longitudinal steel to two points. I ask for a 20' stick to start with that is tied to the footing steel. Where a configuration does not allow a 20' stick, whatever will fit and tie to the bottom footing steel is what we get.