• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC B2 commercial building inspector exam

I passed mine today. I found alot of useful information in this thread...thank you all.

Now on to the M2, P2 and E2. I took a job that requires I have all 4 commercial in 30 days. Ugh! Again, your insight has given me a good sense of how to prepare.

Cheers!

jmc said:
I passed mine today. I found alot of useful information in this thread...thank you all.Now on to the M2, P2 and E2. I took a job that requires I have all 4 commercial in 30 days. Ugh! Again, your insight has given me a good sense of how to prepare.

Cheers!
Welcome and congratulations jmc.

tsmith251990 said:
Does anyone out there know how much different the B2 2009 test is from the 2012?
Welcome to THE Forum!!

I haven't taken any 2012 exams, but I imagine the format is essentially the same.

Some great tips above, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway;

1- Buy the fast tabs

2- Know thy index well.

3- Answer the ones you know, flag the ones your unsure of. Come back to the flagged answers after going through the whole test.

Thanks much for the information, I am taking it on Sept. 16th. Do you have any info on the prints that they give you? I assume they are on structure?

righter101 said:
When I posted about test taking, one fourm contributer made a good suggestion, take the index from the back out of the book ,right at the start of the test. It makes flipping much eaiser.
Great idea!

My suggestion would be copy the chapter indexes and paste them at the front of each chapter. Saves going back and forth to the front of the book.

And study. But more to be familiar, than to memorize. It's about finding the right information, quickly and accurately.

I'm a little late here but does anyone know if it is OK to write notes on the tabs themselves, like writing section numbers and pages in order. I tried calling the ICC number and was just read word for word what it says on the website

 Reference(s) for the appropriate exam that are listed in this Examination Information

Bulletin—no other reference material will be allowed into the testing center:

Please make sure the reference(s):

 Are bound (either original bound book, three-ring binder, or stapled). Photocopies

of copyrighted materials are not allowed.

 Have notes written in ink or highlighted in code sections only

 Have permanently attached tabs (tabs that can’t be removed without destroying the

page)

I wanted clarification on whether writing on the tab pages was considered code sections or not. Alas she would not give me any clarification.

I'm a little late here but does anyone know if it is OK to write notes on the tabs themselves, like writing section numbers and pages in order. I tried calling the ICC number and was just read word for word what it says on the website Reference(s) for the appropriate exam that are listed in this Examination Information

Bulletinno other reference material will be allowed into the testing center:

Please make sure the reference(s):

Are bound (either original bound book, three-ring binder, or stapled). Photocopies

of copyrighted materials are not allowed.

Have notes written in ink or highlighted in code sections only

Have permanently attached tabs (tabs that cant be removed without destroying the

page)

I wanted clarification on whether writing on the tab pages was considered code sections or not. Alas she would not give me any clarification.
All my tabs are generic ones that I wrote the chapter names on in ink. And the blank pages right before the indexes in all my books have ink notes on them. No one at a test center has said anything yet.

Don't take that as gospel though, because you never know who you're going to get for a test proctor.

I took the ICC online class to prepare for the Res and Com building inspector tests. I did the practice tests approx 7 times and used the ICC tabs. Both tests were not hard at all. Some testing companies are VERY picky about tabs, folded corners, highlighted text, etc in the books. Be careful and ask questions of them to be sure.

Well just an update, I took my California Commercial Building Inspector Exam on Wednesday and passed! Thanks everyone on here for the help and advice. I just became a sawhorse and will continue to try and help out here as I get more experience. On to mechanical, then plumbing, saving electrical for last.

Just in case anyone was wondering I used the builders book quick pass study guide for the 2015 international exam (there isn't anything to purchase for California specific exams). This got me close enough, there isn't a crazy difference between them. I did it all self study. It was pretty difficult but I made it work.

Thanks much for the information' date=' I am taking it on Sept. 16th. Do you have any info on the prints that they give you? I assume they are on structure?[/quote']They didn't give out any prints on my test just a few exhibits on the computer. The quality is awful, you can barely make out the numbers but the questions were very easy, length of lap joint (was clearly marked on the print), lowest level floor elevation (right in the middle of the print), height of a lavatory (simple sink drawing)