• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

SciFy and fantasy novels

I had my doubts when I read a review that compared his vision to William Gibson's...I don't have those doubts anymore.

Its a shame you live in the frozen tundra, I need another person in the book trading group.

It's been more like soupy tundra this winter. The Post Office hasn't shut down...yet. I have a couple extra copies of "A Difference Engine" by William Gibson I have been told to get rid of now that my bookcases are "our" bookcases.

You get a bookcase or even more than one. Sheesh, I have a couple thousand books packed away in plastic totes. To be fair now that the boy has moved out on his own I suppose I could claim a piece of the basement. Before I was married my basement had a 35' wall of built in shelving, all the books alphabetized by author, and another wall with plaques and trophies. Got married 7 years ago and still it is packed up.

gbhammer said:
You get a bookcase or even more than one. Sheesh, I have a couple thousand books packed away in plastic totes. To be fair now that the boy has moved out on his own I suppose I could claim a piece of the basement. Before I was married my basement had a 35' wall of built in shelving, all the books alphabetized by author, and another wall with plaques and trophies. Got married 7 years ago and still it is packed up.
I am too cheap for plastic totes... it is trash bags in boxes for me. I 've got books 2 rows deep on the shelves. I have been given a green light to do built-ins in the 1/2 story 2nd floor study...haven't found a good hinge to support a false front book case though. Might be 7 years before mine are unpacked too.

My girlfriend boughgt a Nook, and likes it. So I got one yesterday. But, I could not get the thing to accept the hotel wireless. When I get home on Sunday, her job will be to set it up for me. Then I will make a list of books she can download for me. She has wireless at home, I have DSL. I got the cheap Nook, no lights, no color, no video capabilities, just a book, and case to keep it in. Now what do I do with the books as at home? I think Mom still has books that I left when I moved out 50 years ago.

Non-fiction but about space travel:

Lost Moon - Jim Lovell

Way better than the movie.

The NYTimes opinion section has a very nice commentary on the work of Philip K Dick today & yesterday.

Mac said:
The NYTimes opinion section has a very nice commentary on the work of Philip K Dick today & yesterday.
*The Man in the High Castle* is a classic (probably why it won a Hugo).

Venus on the Halfshell, by Kilgore Trout, Kurt Vonnegut's nom de plume.

A space wanderer named Simon Wagstaff pilots a Chinese spacecraft named the Hwang Ho that has an egregiously phallic appearance.

OK, slumbering brethren.

If you don't subscribe to the New Yorker, buy the summer reading issue off the stand...it is all sci-fi.

Just finished "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman. Essentially the Adult version of a Harry Potter/Narnia series without all the happy endings.

I just bought myself a Nook. Not the color edition, not the notebook edition. This one just has words. I also got a cover for it, with a big rubber band to keep it closed. The books are less than paper, and I can fill it with lots of books. It also fits in my briefcase. I think I will like the Nook, it even downloads wirelessly.

"Rest in peace Mr. Bradbury."

One of the all-time best of authors, and a personal favorite.

When I was teenager, I loved Bradbury's short stories...but his novels didn't resonate with me...the Martian Chronicles was probably one of the most boring books I read at the time.

A couple of years ago I started reading SyFy again and reread it.

The way in which it's themes of family and community resonated with me was stunning.