• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage to Residence: Minimum Requirements

Papio Bldg Dept

Platinum Member
A garage was recently permitted to be converted to a green house. Only utility is electricity. Wood burning stove to heat in winter (permit not issued). Hay bales used for insulation. Just found out owner sub-let house and moved in (prohibited by zoning).

I really don't know where to begin, but we are sending out a planning/building inspection team this afternoon to verify neighbor's complains. Any and all thoughts are welcome?

No water / sewer / cooking for the "new" tenant? Immediate eviction of "alledged"

tenant? Minimum amounts of habitable spaces, etc.? Oh yeah, ..document,

..document, ..document! Pictures, ..pictures, ..pictures!

Did they do a Manual J on the wood stove?....Solid fuel and hay bales?.....it shouldn't be a problem for long......Vapor barrier under the floor? Room size, sanitation, water, arc-fault,...whatever else I can think of....Ice and water extending 24" inside the building....

Maybe they can be relocated into the County Hotel. You know, the ones with the bars.

Big Mac said:
Maybe they can be relocated into the County Hotel. You know, the ones with the bars.
What? There is a county hotel with an open bar where you live?

;)

They are nice people...trying to be green i guess, leave a minimal footprint, but two blocks from City Hall, might be a problem. We have Ag and Res. Estate zones they could probably make it work. I am not sure our zoning is flexible enough for urban hermits.

its hard to put some one out on the street. ask them to get a special events permit to camp in the back yard.

= =

"I am not sure our zoning is flexible enough for urban hermits."
Sure you are!....Just have the "new" tenants throw money at this problem,...make lots of promises upfront and verbally massage the elected officials

and voila'!.......They're good to go!.........Codes & Ordinances, ...they don't

need no [ stinkin' ] codes & ordinances.

Isn't this the norm everywhere?

= =

Papio Bldg Dept said:
A garage was recently permitted to be converted to a green house. Only utility is electricity. Wood burning stove to heat in winter (permit not issued). Hay bales used for insulation. Just found out owner sub-let house and moved in (prohibited by zoning). I really don't know where to begin, but we are sending out a planning/building inspection team this afternoon to verify neighbor's complains. Any and all thoughts are welcome?
Did you adopt IPMC? Or the 1997 Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings? Both have references to minimum code standards to make sure a building is "habitable". I use the CA Health & Safety Code in some instances. Does your state have a similar code? I also use city code in reference to nuisances.

Possible departments to contact - Environmental Health, Planning/Zoning, Fire, Public Works (sewer & water, encroachment).

As has been said, document, document, document! You can never take too many pictures, notes, or have too many witnesses.

Most of all, Good Luck!

$ # =

"Wow north star, are we having a bad day in code 'enforcement' land?"
" gb ",

Actually no!.....I am blessed beyong belief in my current position.

Sometimes though, the glaring hypocrisy is just too much here in

"code suggestion" land!

Also, ...sorry for the "spewing of the venom"!.......It's most

definitely "not" [ intended ] to be all about me [ * stepping

down off of my Rant Box * ].

= * +

code suggestion land, lmao, i like it. don't you hate those days, instances, when you almost wonder what you're doing and why you do it, then, you make a difference in someones life, they appreciate it, and it's all worth it again

north star said:
Sometimes though, the glaring hypocrisy is just too much here in"code suggestion" land!

Also, ...sorry for the "spewing of the venom"!.......It's most

definitely "not" [ intended ] to be all about me [ * stepping

down off of my Rant Box * ].
I guess I am not quite getting the gist of your comments today, but have a great weekend (everybody).

I will post where this one goes when I get back Tuesdsay. Hopefully, as codeworks noted, we can make a positive difference with reasonable solution for the property owners.

In other news, our anti-chicken ordinances come out next week! (rolling eyes emoticon)

north star said:
= =Sure you are!....Just have the "new" tenants throw money at this problem,

...make lots of promises upfront and verbally massage the elected officials

and voila'!.......They're good to go!.........Codes & Ordinances, ...they don't

need no [ stinkin' ] codes & ordinances.

Isn't this the norm everywhere?

= =
It isn't modus operandi here...not to say it doesn't happen on occasion, but those occasions are rare, and you won't find my name on any of that paperwork.

Heh you can't do away with the chickens now, you just got the straw bale house folr them

our chicken ordinance will be going to the voters next election. It has been a fierce battle up to this point for the last two years. it has pitted neighbor against neighbor, the haves (chickens) against the have nots (chickens). The only chance for peace and harmony to be restored to this community is for a majority vote at the ballot box. i believe that chickens are people too!

neighbor might have a two-story house ... the place we recently purchased had the nice 6' privacy fence in the backyard. all the neighboring homes are two-story, so much for privacy

There was only a bed and a desk in the greenhouse/shed/converted garage...I think zoning is going to require a letter of acknowledgment for applicable regulations and we will do the documentation dance and move on.

Thanks for all the input.