• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anchor Bolt Thickness

jmc

Bronze Member
What is the exact thickness of a 1/2" anchor bolt? A concrete sub is using a bolt that measures 7/16". Does this equate to a 1/2" or 3/8"? Thanks!

i used a tape measure. pulling against the tab it measures right at 7/16"...pushing against the tab it measures 1/2"...if that makes sense. your comment that you weren't aware of 3/8" anchor bolts is very helpful though.

jmc said:
i used a tape measure. pulling against the tab it measures right at 7/16"...pushing against the tab it measures 1/2"...if that makes sense. your comment that you weren't aware of 3/8" anchor bolts is very helpful though.
Measure it from one side of the 13" mark

Like ICE said you should never use the first couple inches of a tape measure if you need it to be very accurate as the end tab has a tendency to move.

"...as the end tab has a tendency to move."

Yes, the hook of a steel rule moves the thickness of the hook.

A 1/2" anchor bolt has a major diameter of 1/2"

A quick and easy measuring aid is a 'Sharpie' marking pen. These are (close enough for this exercise) 3/8 of an inch on the smaller end of the reservoir, and 1/2 inch diameter at the fattest part.

If it is new, it should only move the thickness of the hook. However, over time those holes elongate and the movement becomes larger making measurements inaccurate. A better rule of thumb is to use a section of tape not affected by the movement of the end tab or hook.

measured elsewhere on the tape measure, it's exactly 7/16".

Is it a 7/16 nut or 1/2 inch is the easiest way to tell. You won't get a 1/2" thread on a 7/16" shaft without it being vary obvious.

The movement of the end tab compensates for when you measure butting your tape versus hooking your tape. When you hook it it moves the thickness of the tab and when you butt it, it moves back. That's why they slide. It has to compensate for the thickness of the tab.

Anchor bolts are measured using the diameter where there is no threads. What can confuse the issue is that some bolts have the threads rolled while others have cut threads. With a rolled thread the diameter of the unthreaded portion is slightly less than the diameter of a bolt with cut threads.

My belief is that any code provisions were developed in the context of cut threads. Thus would be inclined not to accept rolled threads unless bolt was up sized or the design professional determined that there was no problem.

What's a 1/16 of an inch among friends? Hey.. close enough for government work... Always hated that saying!

so the contractor brought in a new box of bolts. measuring the nonthreaded area of the bolt with three separate tape measures, they all hit exactly on 7/16".

I've a box of 5/8" anchor bolts out in my shop. They've rolled 5/8" threads with a shank that measures .560". I've had them for ten or more years.

Bill