• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R-2/v-a: Table 601

Papio Bldg Dept

Platinum Member
R-2/V-A: TABLE 601

R-2/S-2

4 STORIES

15,939 SF/STORY

56' HEIGHT

EA TRAV DIST = 217'

It has been awhile since I have sunk my teeth into an R-2/V-A.

Are the exterior decks, covered or uncovered, required to have a fire-resistance rating of 1 hour too (The deck construction does not meet the Heavy Timber requirements of Table 602.4)?

Thanks in advance.

It depends...... If the decks are a strucutrual component of the floor system, then they would need to be rated for one hour....... If they are free standing and do not provide any structural support to the structure itself, I would say no - In other words - if the strucutre can be built without depending upon the balcony construction for support - I would say not ...Besides the balconies have to be protected by a sprinkler head in accordance with the IBC/IFC - which is beyond the requirements of 13 or 13 R.

So is the question whether decks are similar projections? I think it is.

[F] 903.3.1.2.1 Balconies and decks.

Sprinkler protection shall be provided for exterior balconies, decks and ground floor patios of dwelling units where the building is of Type V construction, provided there is a roof or deck above. Sidewall sprinklers that are used to protect such areas shall be permitted to be located such that their deflectors are within 1 inch (25 mm) to 6 inches (152 mm) below the structural members and a maximum distance of 14 inches (356 mm) below the deck of the exterior balconies and decks that are constructed of open wood joist construction.

1406.3 Balconies and similar projections.

Balconies and similar projections of combustible construction other than fire-retardant-treated wood shall be fire-resistance rated where required by Table 601 for floor construction or shall be of Type IV construction in accordance with Section 602.4. The aggregate length of the projections shall not exceed 50 percent of the building's perimeter on each floor.

Exceptions:

1. On buildings of Type I and II construction, three stories or less above grade plane, fire-retardant-treated wood shall be permitted for balconies, porches, decks and exterior stairways not used as required exits.

2. Untreated wood is permitted for pickets and rails or similar guardrail devices that are limited to 42 inches (1067 mm) in height.

3. Balconies and similar projections on buildings of Type III, IV and V construction shall be permitted to be of Type V construction, and shall not be required to have a fire-resistance rating where sprinkler protection is extended to these areas.

4. Where sprinkler protection is extended to the balcony areas, the aggregate length of the balcony on each floor shall not be limited.

Francis

brudgers said:
13R or 13? Frontage increase?

IMO, decks burn.
Thanks Brudgers.

They are 13, for height and area increases. Area/height calculations were not provided (nor a cover sheet or civil drawings). Short of being a mind-reader, I used the fire sprinkler for the area/height increases as all wall/floor/ceiling assemblies indicate 1-hour fire-rated (per prescriptive requirements). That was my thought as well, however will the roof above the decks need to be a fire-protected assembly as well? IMO, the roof and it's soffit vents should not burn, but I don't want to review this based upon my opinion either. It has been five years (and one code cycle) since I reviewed a V-A apartment building.

1406.3 Balconies and similar projections.

Balconies and similar projections of combustible construction other than fire-retardant-treated wood shall be fire-resistance rated where required by Table 601 for floor construction or shall be of Type IV construction in accordance with Section 602.4. The aggregate length of the projections shall not exceed 50 percent of the building's perimeter on each floor.

Exceptions:

3. Balconies and similar projections on buildings of Type III, IV and V construction shall be permitted to be of Type V construction, and shall not be required to have a fire-resistance rating where sprinkler protection is extended to these areas.

4. Where sprinkler protection is extended to the balcony areas, the aggregate length of the balcony on each floor shall not be limited.

Francis

Thanks Francis, that was the code section I was looking for.

Section 1406.3, exception #3. I've used this on more than one occasion.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Thanks Brudgers. They are 13, for height and area increases. Area/height calculations were not provided (nor a cover sheet or civil drawings). Short of being a mind-reader, I used the fire sprinkler for the area/height increases as all wall/floor/ceiling assemblies indicate 1-hour fire-rated (per prescriptive requirements). That was my thought as well, however will the roof above the decks need to be a fire-protected assembly as well? IMO, the roof and it's soffit vents should not burn, but I don't want to review this based upon my opinion either. It has been five years (and one code cycle) since I reviewed a V-A apartment building.
Last I checked, roof ceiling assemblies generally require fire resistance ratings in type VA construction.