• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1004.1.2 Floor area allowances

See Section 303. An assembly use associated with a Group E is not considered a separate occupancy.

I know that Ron.....but that is what the DP put on the plans.....I am surpised he left out S for the closets and maybe I for the nurses suite...

RLGA said:
See Section 303. An assembly use associated with a Group E is not considered a separate occupancy.

I'm in the 1:20 camp on this one unless they can provide compelling evidence to the contrary.

thanks for posting. They didn't change my mind...either use the 1:20, or use the reduced design occupant load exception and post a maximum occupancy sign for the rooms, which I would recommend to be at 49.

From the pictures posted, I don't see anything that would allow them to calculate occupant load at anything other than 1:20. IMHO the "Shops & other vocational room areas" is intended for Chemistry Labs, Auto Shop, Wood Shop, and the like, where there has to be large tables or equipment. Simply having computer work stations is not a "Shop"...

The other thing to consider is that, from time to time, schools DO change their programming and what they are calling a "Computer Lab" may someday be changed to a standard classroom and, if they don't provide egress now to allow for that scenario, someone is going to be saying "Well, this building was built as a school, so why weren't these rooms built so they can be used as classrooms?"