• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair violations?? or are they??

globe trekker said:
righter101,In your jurisdiction, who typically builds and maintains these stairs?

IMO, if you have the option, leave them alone! Do not suggest

anything! "Zip it & skip it!" Also, what is the position of your

AHJ attorney?

Usually built and maintained by homeowner or contractor. I will run it by the attorney.

I do understand the "not suggesting anything" approach as well. We either regulate them or we don't.

Thanks for the good feedback from everyone.

Go Manning........Go Broncos!

Stick with IRC, not part of the required exiting from the structure.

globe trekker said:
righter101,In your jurisdiction, who typically builds and maintains these stairs?

IMO, if you have the option, leave them alone! Do not suggest

anything! "Zip it & skip it!" Also, what is the position of your

AHJ attorney?

righter101 said:
I had to do that to get under the 19k posting limit. If anyone knows a way around, I can repost a full size pic.The stairs connect a portion of the yard to the beach below. They are private, not public, but are nowhere near the house.
set up a photo bucket account, upload the photo, select the photo, in the lower right corner are some share choices, left click on IMG code, the box will turn yellow with the word copied, paste that into the reply box, it will look like this with square brackets before and after

No here also unless the stairs are associated with a dock permit in which case game on. I like the playground approach.

ICC screwed up the the stairways code requirement by placing it in the 2003 IRC under "Means of Egress". In the 2000 IRC, if it was a stairway regardless of it's location it was required to meet the code requirements.

For the most part, most state and local governments adopt the I-codes blindly

Put it under the Owner/Builder permit and leave at that.

It is San Juan County isn't it?

Durant said:
ICC screwed up the the stairways code requirement by placing it in the 2003 IRC under "Means of Egress". In the 2000 IRC, if it was a stairway regardless of it's location it was required to meet the code requirements.For the most part, most state and local governments adopt the I-codes blindly
I agree and there is language to support that ALL stairs in a dwelling or from a dwelling to the ground are covered by the stair criteria (don't have my book handy to reference sections), however once one is to grade, I no longer consider built stairs as being in my jurisdiction for single familyresidential

agreed.... Landscaping no enforcement

disagree... Boo Manning... GO STEELERS!!!

I understand the general theme here, and personally I agree, however, an arguement could made for compliance by loosely using 102.1 or 105.2. Maybe the square footage exceeds 120 square feet (> 40 lineal feet of stairs and landings)?

Either way, as mtlogcabin stated, be consistent.

If you are going to exempt it, then you might consider adding such structures to your work exempt from permit section (2006: 105.2).

p.s., in our AHJ, we require permits on any detached accessory structure over 6 feet tall. Stairs aren't required in detached accessory structures, but when they are provided, they shall comply with R311.5.

Rider Rick said:
Put it under the Owner/Builder permit and leave at that.It is San Juan County isn't it?
It is SJC but stairs are one of the few items regulated under the OB ordinance (at least handrails and landings).

Regardless of whether a permit is required, the project is required to meet code provisions.

The stairway is most certainly a structure. (i.e. that which is built or constructed)

Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in a manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other law or ordinances of this jurisdiction. 2009 IRC, Section R105.2.

I am quite sure this language has not changed from recent codes.