• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type I or Type II Hood??

Big Mac

Gold Member
Back to the age old question, but maybe we are getting closer with a code answer. Looking for clarification from anyone in the know.

I am told the 2012 IMC has made the latest attempt at clarity as to when a Type I or Type II cooking hoods is required, by providing a new exception in 507.2.1 which references Sec 17 of UL 710B-appliance effluent in an electric cooking appliance that generate 5mg/ or less of grease.

Second part of this question, according to my information the exception only applies to electric cooking appliances. Anybody able to share any more particulars about this subject. As of now, we do not have the 2012 IMC in house. May not be much help to me in this particular circumstance if it is limited to electric cooking appliances but would still like to hear more particulars if anyone has them.

FYI - Just found this additional information.

Just came across something interesting. As codes evolve, they sometimes provide some clarity as to what was actually intended by previous code but had been confusing for some applicant and code officials. This appears to be the case with at least one section of the 2012 International Mechanical Code. The following is a quote from the 2012 International Mechanical Code, Section 507.2.1 and the exception thereto:

“Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over Medium-Duty, Heavy-Duty and Extra-Heavy-Duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over Light-Duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an electric cooking appliance where an approved testing agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5mg/m3 ( that should read m squared but apparently that function doesn't transfer to this forum) or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500cfm in accordance with Section 17 of UL 710B.

As you can see, it only applies to electric appliances, not gas fired appliances.

I lied, apparently there was a 2012 IMC hiding here.

Big Mac said:
FYI - Just found this additional information.Just came across something interesting. As codes evolve, they sometimes provide some clarity as to what was actually intended by previous code but had been confusing for some applicant and code officials. This appears to be the case with at least one section of the 2012 International Mechanical Code. The following is a quote from the 2012 International Mechanical Code, Section 507.2.1 and the exception thereto:

“Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over Medium-Duty, Heavy-Duty and Extra-Heavy-Duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over Light-Duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an electric cooking appliance where an approved testing agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5mg/m3 ( that should read m squared but apparently that function doesn't transfer to this forum) or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500cfm in accordance with Section 17 of UL 710B.

As you can see, it only applies to electric appliances, not gas fired appliances.

I lied, apparently there was a 2012 IMC hiding here.
Would not the volume of grease as a constituent of the effluent depend on what was being cooked?

My guess is this is meant to apply to appliances like Turbo Chef ovens. Subway uses them to toast subs, but I also see them used a lot by convenience stores for cooking pizzas, precooked sandwiches, etc. Some of them in their listing even allow for cooking some raw meats (you have to check the listing of each appliance to see what it was tested with) without a type I hood. They only meet part of the 710B requirements, not sure what part (I'm guessing section 17?). IMC never gave an exception for these before, so I'm guessing this is it. These appliances do not emit much, if any, grease.

looks like this number came form NFPA 710b """" appliance effluent contains 5mg/m3 """" because the air returned to the kitchen is not suppose to exceed that.

So if you are not creating above that level, guess they figure if you can breath it, it is not dngerous????????????

This is my latest journey down the rabbit hole on the domestic appliance versus commercial appliance Type I Hood question for an apartment complex clubhouse kitchen where they have yet to give me the same answer twice on how the kitchen will be used (e.g., open house events, etc.):

We will review the frequency, or duration, of use and the quantities of grease-laden vapors, or smoke, produced by the cooking operations performed on the domestic/residential appliance. In evaluating the use, we want to document the worst case conditions, in this case the highest frequency of use, or operations that would produce the greatest amounts of grease laden vapors, and make an appropriate and reasonable assessment. The primary purpose of a Type I hood is to control or limit a potential fire hazard associated with grease, and for a Type II hood to limit waste and moisture burdens on HVAC systems and prevent unhealthy environmental conditions such as mold. I have quoted Section 507.2.3 of the 2006 IMC below for your reference.

507.2.3 Domestic cooking appliances used for commercial purposes.Domestic cooking appliances utilized for commercial purposes shall be provided with Type I or Type II hoods as required for the type of appliances and processes in accordance with Sections 507.2, 507.2.1 and 507.2.2.

Under normal circumstances, I would tend to agree with your proposal, and from review of the limited information provided, find a downdraft system to be a reasonable and compliant design solution in most circumstances. However, being that the owner’s letter specifically noted that this kitchen area will not be used as a catering kitchen (in our AHJ, a catering kitchen is typically defined as a limited use kitchen used only for warming, baking and serving, with most food preparations occurring off-site.), and the use of the kitchen area can be rented out for special events, suggests revenue generating conditions may create prolonged use and increases in grease-laden vapors. As such, we are simply attempting to clarify the expected conditions and document that the design meets the intent. In addition, we rely on the professional license of the designer, in this case the mechanical engineer, to provide a compliant design that mitigates potential hazards and is in compliance with the intent of the applicable codes.

Gregg Harris said:
Would not the volume of grease as a constituent of the effluent depend on what was being cooked?
if the state fairs of this great land have taught us anything, it is that anything and everything can be fried.

Let's see if we can take this discussion one step further.

Proposed: Conveyor Pizza Oven with gas fuel. Defined as a medium-duty cooking appliance. Medium-duty cooking appliances are required to have Type I hoods over. I have often heard the argument that a Type I hood is not required because the amount of grease vapors generated is small. This new provision would seem to quell that argument once and for all for gas fueled appliances.

And having hustled pizzas from a major chain, there is plenty of grease left, can't help but belive there is grease-laden vapors even in a conveyor oven.

So, is a small counter-top type oven less of a potential fire

hazard than the traditional "assembled-components-and-into

-the-gas fired-large-oven" because of the 5mg/cm3 amount

(or less) of grease? Over time, and without attentiveness to

cleaning, what is the potential risk for fire?

IMO, not too many food serving establishments are

regularly cleaning completely the cooking appliances /

equipment.

Sorry for the thread hijack but, I think this thread is a perfect place to see if anyone else has been faced with my latest scenario. Small 6' x12' burrito, burger and hot dog trailers that are set up to cook, grill, bake (no frying yet) and whether or not do they require Type I hoods with fire suppression. The 2009 IMC & Commentary, Section 507.2.1, Last paragraph of the commentary says " This chapter does not require exhaust hoods for cooking equipment or appliances installed outdoors where the grease-laden vapors, etc., discharge directly to the outside atmosphere, nor does this chapter intend to regulate cooking appliances installed in vehicles or towed trailers (see definition of Commercial cooking appliances) So my question is do I require them to have a Type I hood with fire suppression because they are grilling burgs and dogs and frying bacon? Any input would be appreciated. Eric

Not unless you can do it under a health permit, or have admened the code to include vehicles

Health department regulated. Units are pretty small they are constantly attended when in use and not a great loss if a fire occurs. The one or two people can exit the door or over the counter.

pwood said:
i don't eat at or enforce the codes for anything on wheels.
:lol: I like that mantra! Can i use it?

mtlogcabin said:
Health department regulated. Units are pretty small they are constantly attended when in use and not a great loss if a fire occurs. The one or two people can exit the door or over the counter.
Can I use this too? Thanks for the input gents. It is nice to know I am not alone in this world of code controlled chaos. :cheers I'll be back soon with something else to discuss I'm sure.

if it's in a trailer (food prep trailer) or mobile kitchen unit, it ain't outside. here, if it produces grease, it's got to have a type 1 hood with suppression. covered by health and fire

how does the hood know if it's over an electric cooking appliance or a gas fired one? Does the fire know if it's an electric or gas cooking appliance? I'm guessing no.

Has anyone run into this issue pertaining to UL 710B? My Church puts on a Greek Festival once a year. We have been doing this for over 30 years. The Festival lasts 2 days for eight hours each day. It takes place in a concrete building. Precast conc. ceiling height is approx. 25'. We rent this building for two days. One of our food booths uses 2 fryers where we make Loukamathes, (fried donut holes). We fry these at approx. 375 degrees F. We keep portable fire extinguishers near these in the event of a grease fire. Last year the fire marshal told us after 30 years, we will need to install a hood over these fryers. This would not be practical since we don't own the building and we don't make a lot of money on this booth to pay for a commercial hood. The fire marshal did reference 2015 IFC section 609.2, exception. We would not have to provide a Type 1 hood if we can provide documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5 mg/m^3 or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm per U.L. 710B. Is there a test performed on a electric fryer by someone that can give this data? We checked with the fryer manufacturer and they said they don't do this kind of test on their appliances. Is there a specific cooking oil required to achieve this? Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone run into this issue pertaining to UL 710B? My Church puts on a Greek Festival once a year. We have been doing this for over 30 years. The Festival lasts 2 days for eight hours each day. It takes place in a concrete building. Precast conc. ceiling height is approx. 25'. We rent this building for two days. One of our food booths uses 2 fryers where we make Loukamathes, (fried donut holes). We fry these at approx. 375 degrees F. We keep portable fire extinguishers near these in the event of a grease fire. Last year the fire marshal told us after 30 years, we will need to install a hood over these fryers. This would not be practical since we don't own the building and we don't make a lot of money on this booth to pay for a commercial hood. The fire marshal did reference 2015 IFC section 609.2, exception. We would not have to provide a Type 1 hood if we can provide documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5 mg/m^3 or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm per U.L. 710B. Is there a test performed on a electric fryer by someone that can give this data? We checked with the fryer manufacturer and they said they don't do this kind of test on their appliances. Is there a specific cooking oil required to achieve this? Any help would be appreciated.

Cook outside the building, simplest fix.

More than likely you will not find the test.

It has to be done on the spefic brand and model you are using.

Cook outside the building, simplest fix.

More than likely you will not find the test.

It has to be done on the spefic brand and model you are using.
We've talked about that. Problem is that our Festival is in September and in Cheyenne, Wyo. September can mean wind, snow and cold temperatures.