• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HazMat: Material classification computer program?

sdpaddler50

Bronze Member
I am curious as to what websites others are using to quantify liquids, gasses, etc for hazmat purposes. There are quite a few government and university websites, but the ones i have found are not that great. Anyone know of any good computer based programs? I dont mind paying for the program. My main purpose is to classify comb/flam liquids as far as open/closed use, amounts, etc. So if there is a program out there where i can input the data, and it can list the liquids, amounts, use type, etc and whether MAQ's are exceeded in a table based format, I'd be greatful to hear about it.

Will ask my boss, think he may know of one

Main problem a lot of chemicals and different makers of similar ones

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this application is the rapid change of manufactures to produce "secret" processes to manufacture their product at a cheaper price.... therefore, the products classifications can change and would make a computer program obsollete if it didn't have automatic updates- thus a costly adventure (plus the liability associated with producing such program)

CDA-the chemsw is a nice program, but i called them and its designed for plants to keep track of their fluids/amounts real time. It's not a fire code/reporting tool.

TJ- I ran across the Hmex program this morning. For $200, looks like a good tool. But, for the detailed reports i need to produce, i was hoping for a program where i could input the various parameters noted in my first post, and the data would pop out in a nice table. Perhaps that animal does not exist, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks Guys.

Oldfieldguy (sounds like a good screen name for me :) ) - I did not see your response on EngTips regarding this. StookeyFPE replied that the first version of Hmex had the capabilities i was looking for, but due to all of the complexities, and changing variables involved to quantify each situation, they stopped doing it. It now just provides the basic physical properties of materials.

If you can't find HMEx you can use hazclass.com to lookup chemical classifications. It also has the ability to generate HMIS templates.

S-FPE is a class act and has a wealth of knowledge. EngTips is also a great platform for FP information. Glad to see the ole goat is still assisting others in their quests for knowledge.