• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Problems we face!

RJJ

Co-Founder
Existing building are perhaps for sure the biggest issue we as inspectors encounter on a day to day bases. What are some of the most common issue presented to you all with Change of use? or altering an existing building? This is a wide open question and we encounter perhaps some of the biggest problems to gain compliance with the code. Lets here some of the obstacles an how they have been or could be resolved.

A timely topic, for sure!

The last change of use I has was a M to B occupancy a couple months ago. The first obstacle IMHO is educating the owner as to why the space needs to be fully accessible including rest roooms,parking etc etc. Owner will remind Code Officer that this "costs money" several times. This particular one worked out better than the tightwad owner realizes, because there is no municipal requirement to provide parking in the downtown area. However this previous store has a rear parking area with just enough space to provide accessible spaces, and a ramp meeting ANSI 117 specs. This alone allowed Mr. T-wad to convert the space, becausse the front enrty is four steps up from the sidewalk, with no space to build a ramp (technically infeasible?).

Thankfully, New York State has an excellent support system for local code enforcement, and my "field rep" came and approved it.

So the landlord really had no idea what steps we (I) took to help make this conversion happen, when we could have said "Sorry, not accessible, not approvable"

The most common change of occupancy issue I've encountered is from residential to...well take your pick.

The first part of that conversation typically revolves around floor structural loads.

In good cases we get to egress and accessibility.

I would suppose the best approach to these existing buildings is Milton's rule How can I approve this! It then becomes a matrix of issues to deal with both for the applicant and the code official.

Where I am, the alterations to an existing building. Lack of information - plans, permits, even year built. City building department was under county auspices until early 1990's. County building department has city permits (no plans) back to mid-1980's.

My advice, hire an engineer.

Sue

brudgers said:
I don't come at the world as a code official very often these days.
Ah, but you must be able to think like one.

Last edited by a moderator:
existing electrical deficiencies, old and unsafe wiring practices, bad plumbing, floor loads, the need for sprinklers based on size and use (always a hair raiser for the owner or the person wanting to do a "fit up") hard to tell 'em "it's easy with enough money", or, as your trying to help, they get ****ed off because you dont have the answer they want, or the one they're looking for. my favorite is "when did you all change the rules" or "nobodys ever called that out or told me that before". well, sorry, i don't know what others here were doing before i got here, i've only been here 15 months, this is what the city adopted, and, if my responses aren't to your liking, you can always go the CBO. he's good, though, good back up.

Make 'em do a Ch. 34 evaluation - this is the only way to establish code compliance in an existing building - you can't apply the rest of the book just based on a change of use or occupancy. That "score sheet", while it requires a certain degree of code savvy, is not "design", so it can be prepared by anyone - not just an RDP.

RJJ said:
I would suppose the best approach to these existing buildings is Milton's rule How can I approve this! It then becomes a matrix of issues to deal with both for the applicant and the code official.
Sometimes it's like corralling cats and try to keep it from getting worst.

Francis

In my area there are a lot of old buildings that never had a permit, inspections, or a C.O. As soon they do get a permit to do anything at all like a new roof, everything needs to be up to the latest code (especially accessibility) in order to get the C.O. I need to use "change of occupancy" in ch. 34. From nothing to B or M etc.