• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Metal Fire Sprinkler Piping

jw, you really need to talk to a firefghter before making foolish remarks like "the light falling is ridiculous" it happens speak with a firefighter. worse happens speak with a fire fighter. thase codes re for protection of property, and the public that use them, sometimes they affects those who come in in response to disaster

you're side stepping the point. it can and does happen, what about those in the building working to get out? when a fire starts does the power "magically shut otself off? i think not

codeworks said:
you're side stepping the point. it can and does happen, what about those in the building working to get out? when a fire starts does the power "magically shut otself off? i think not
I don't think that they are swinging from the sprinkler pipe either

jwelectric said:
He didn’t follow procedure and pull the meter first. This is always the first thing done during a fire call, power goes off first.
Pulling a meter does not always cut the power esp. in some older homes and commercial buildings where a CT meter is used. Sometimes the disco is in a basement so the fire fighter cannot shut the power- it must be done at the transformer. Of course they don't want to wait for the poco.

Just for some gee whiz info. I asked my wife. In Bonita Springs Florida, "bonding of sprinkler pipe" is on the checklist the fire inspector wants to see.

I guess it is different in North Carolina.

DSCN7861-1.jpg

It got a little too hot to pull this one.

DSCN7879.jpg

It is still live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis said:
Pulling a meter does not always cut the power esp. in some older homes and commercial buildings where a CT meter is used. Sometimes the disco is in a basement so the fire fighter cannot shut the power- it must be done at the transformer. Of course they don't want to wait for the poco.
Pull the meter is a phrase like saying kill the power. Sometimes they will pull the fuse at the transformer but they won't spray water on a live circuit.

codeworks,

I think that s/he is being facetious!

It appears that the requirement to bond the sprinkler piping is a valid requirement in most places.

Thanks to all for the input!