• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Code Software

Markmax33

Bronze Member
All,

Has anyone found any good building code software that automates the building code requirement for height, area, non-sep, sep, side yards, fire sprinkler increase, etc?

I found Plan Analyst:

It seems pretty cryptic but claims to have sold thousands of copies over the years at $400/CD.

I found some online calculators that don't get all the requirements:

Home Page

https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch262/calculators/allowable-area/index.html

Then there is Input 1 - CodeComply.com - Online Building Code Consultant

(which I built several years ago but stopped)

Thanks for any advice!

Wayne - yeah I've seen that spreadsheet. It's an interesting concept. I want to build one that does it all and works really well since there isn't one yet.

There are a few spreadsheets out there, problem is variables

So check the math, before it is put on paper as gospel

i used plan analyst when it first came out 86-87, and really liked it. haven't seen the newer stuff. have no clues. i was impressed then

Yes I think this is the biggest problem with a computer/spreadsheet/web based model. It is has to be accurate and show the AHJ and Architect it can handle 99.9% of situations (not 85%) and give an accurate report that shows how it came to the conclusions properly. If it can't be trusted or figured out at a glance it will never work. I'm working on an updated version that gives a very thorough step by step explaination of all calculations and outputs it into a MS Word report that looks really professional. There is some new stuff in the computer programming world that allows for really good user feedback which I am using. I'm pretty sure if something got built as I described people would use it. I know everyone hates the building code!

Wayne said:
The correct link is

Building Code

This calculator has both IBC and CBC versions.

These are easy to use calculators for design/analysis of buildings up to 6 stories, with up to 4 occupancy groups at each level. By using these applications you can also calculate the Frontage increase (If) and the Grade Plane elevation.

The calculator has “Special comments” box, where you can find the Code sections that are not satisfied if you building does not comply with the Code.

In addition to Building Height and Area analysis, it also calculates Front increase and Grade plane.