• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HazMat Management Programs

sdpaddler50

Bronze Member
As you all know, every ahj have their own criteria regarding what they require depending on whether MAQ's are exceeded, and other factors. CFC 2701.5.1 requires a Haz Mat Management Plan (HMMP) which requires a drawing showing where the bad stuff is located, evac plan, exiting, etc. But, the language is noted as follows: "Where required by the fire code official, an app for a permit shall include an HMMP". I find some consultants note this "where required" clause, and do not do the actual plan. Some ahj's dont ask for it, but others do. I realize i need to contact the ahj, and/or review their website for what they require for a permit, but i can tell you its not a consistant subject. Anyway, i know many of the people on here are AHJ's, so i was curious what you would require to grant a haz mat permit as far as the HMMP is concerned. Thank you in advance.

have not required one, except for information during plan review for a building

Last one, the business had a binder already put together, since it was a national company

To clarify, my haz mat technical reports are very comprehensive, 20 to 50 page reports that cover all aspects - fire systems, control areas, construction, etc. I am only referring to the HMMP portion here.

Not sure the question

2701.5.1 Hazardous Materials Management Plan. Where required by the fire code official, an application for a permit shall include a Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP). The HMMP shall include a facility site plan designating the following:

1. Access to each storage and use area.

2. Location of emergency equipment.

3. Location where liaison will meet emergency responders.

4. Facility evacuation meeting point locations.

5. The general purpose of other areas within the building.

6. Location of all above-ground and underground tanks and their appurtenances including, but not limited to, sumps, vaults, below-grade treatment systems and piping.

7. The hazard classes in each area.

8. Locations of all control areas and Group H occupancies.

9. Emergency exits.

We do have annual permits for different haz materials, put normally do not require a HMMP