• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1008.1.9.5 - Single Operation

ADAguy

Do not Hotel Room door surface privacy latches violate this provisions? How do they continue to install them?

Also, how are they accessible?

1008.1.8.3 Locks and latches.

Locks and latches shall be permitted to prevent operation of doors where any of the following exists:

4. Doors from individual dwelling or sleeping units of Group R occupancies having an occupant load of 10 or less are permitted to be equipped with a night latch, dead bolt or security chain, provided such devices are openable from the inside without the use of a key or tool.

I can't answer the accessibility........

My bad, Missed that "R" (as in Hotel/Motel) is not seen as a retail use; however operation of the privacy latch by those with limited use of their digits is still a concern.

ADAguy said:
My bad, Missed that "R" (as in Hotel/Motel) is not seen as a retail use; however operation of the privacy latch by those with limited use of their digits is still a concern.
Most of them also have a paddle "thumbturn" built into the hardware that allows locking from the room side and unlatches with the hardware from the room side. That seems to be becoming much more accessible....Most of the newer nightlatches I have seen are a flip style that might meet he "closed fist" criteria....