• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1133A - Original 2013 CBC vs. July 1 2015 Supplement

ashleykins

Hi, all,

In the original 2013 CBC (November 1, 2013), section 1133A.3 does not specifically require removable base cabinet under the required "work surface." Section 1133A.4 does require a "work surface" and 1133A.4.1 item 2 does require that the cabinet under the work surface be removable. However, the client contends that if stone counters are installed, 1133A.4.1 Exception 1 exempts them from the requirements of 1133A.4.1 (Repositionable Countertops) altogether, including the need to provide a removable cabinet under the work surface.

In contrast, I interpret that a removable cabinet IS required below the work surface. I interpret that 1133A.4.1 Exception 1 only applies to the "repositioning" aspect of the counters, and does not apply to the need for a removable cabinet. (Though I do understand that Exception 2 allows breadboards in lieu of the work surface altogether.)

I feel my interpretation that work surface requires removable cabinet is reinforced by the clarifying language introduced in the July 1 2015 Supplement to the 2013 CBC. In that edition, section 1133A.3 clearly states that the work surface shall have removable cabinet also. In my opinion, this clarifying language in the Supplement edition reflects the code intent/requirement that just wasn't expressed well in earlier editions.

Do you agree that the November 1, 2013 edition requires removable base cabinet below the work surface, even though this is poorly worded/organized in that edition of the code?

Thanks for your input!