• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

16' Garage Door Header

New Builder

Hello Folks,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help size an LVL for a 16' garage door opening. The garage opening is on one of the load bearing walls which hold up the roof trusses. The garage is 28'x28' so the trusses are 28' at a 9" pitch and they also have an attic opening design. The attic is a 15' wide by 28' long completely finished space with insulation and drywall.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

New Builder

Go to your local building/lumber store, not an orange or blue box store where you will purchase the LVL from and they can probably size it for you based on the software program they use from the manufacturer of the LVL. They do it here so hopefully they provide that service where you live.

I would appreciate knowing the result. The truss configuration is also of interest.

Seems to me that the additional complication of the Wind / Shear Loads with such a substantial "Hole in the Wall" would suggest you engage a Professional Engineer to review the situation. Once you exceed the "Prescriptive" values published in the Code, you are now in the Design Errors and Omissions area that is not generally covered by Completed Operations, Liability Insurance for CONTRACTORS.