• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 story office building and operable windows question...

joshj

Need a little help! I am located in Alabama and we are working on a small 2 story office building. Here is the breakdown of the building:

1st Floor: 3,115 SF (load 31)
2nd Floor: 1,625 SF (load 16)
Occupancy: B

There is one central egress stair in the building (only 1 egress required per 1006.3.2, less than 30 occupants on 2nd level). So, the question is, do the windows on the second level need to be operable? Pretty simple question, but having a little discussion about it with a couple of different people.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that emergency escape and rescue openings are only required in certain residential occupancies.

Welcome,

They do know it gets hot in Alabama??

My non code search answer would be no, openable windows not required.

The easy question to them,, is please give me a code section so I can highlight it!!!