• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 story res garage addition w/ parking on both levels

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Home is on a hill, hence parking on both levels.

Actually caught this one going up without a permit a few weeks ago. Have lots of documentation from a structural engineer now (with stamp of course)

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Failed the pre-pad pour below:

IMAG0273.jpg

Man...I need a garage like that, and I don't even live on a hill!

Where is there a missing header?

Except for the lack of permit it seems that the engineer has done a reasonable job.

jar,

That's pretty amazing, the I-beams are even grouted in.

They haven't caught on to that here. I sometimes get this when I write it up "You got to be kiddin!"

pc1

Do the engineered plans show the metals deck with wide flutes down or is the deck installed upside-down?

jar,

Some decks are wide flutes down like TF150 form deck, some are the same design as far as widths which I would think could be flip-flopped. Do the maufactures print "this side up" on the panels? I don't think I have seen it, I think any printing would go on the down side? Phil brings up a good point, I would check it out!

pc1

Good catch Phil.

PC1, I think most deck manufacturers have published loads for the 'non-symetrical' deck designs.

Jar, let us know how this turns out.

jar,

Does your wife know your using her last years christmas picture as an avatar?

pc1

we had an inspector look up at a floor truss and ask, "what does 'dot' mean?" BWAHAHAHAHA He will never live that down.

we had an inspector look up at a floor truss and ask, "what does 'dot' mean?" BWAHAHAHAHA He will never live that down.
when I look up and see the word "TOP"; I always ask the installer: "What does that spell backwards?"