• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2 unit to 3 unit, how to avoid sprinkler

Cleanprofessionals

Hi all, I recently got additional in my NH 2 unit to go 3 unit (basement ground level) and I was told that I would need sprinkler or fire alarm or both. The basement unit had all fire rated ⅝ sheetrock and could really use some guidance on not having to go the expensive time consuming route if I can achieve compliance with ⅝ rock. Also, I do plan on occupying the unit on occasion myself only. Thanks!

I am assuming you were told you needed sprinklers by a competent person, such as a building official or architect, not by someone on facebook. If so, why don’t you ask them to provide references to building code sections or local zoning regulations, then you can research to see if there are exemptions.

Yes, the building inspector mentioned it but I feel as if it might be a generic blanket statement. The only issue is that without knowing where to look, I'd have to hire architect just so I can rebut it. Not sure how to find the information myself.

Have a nice talk with the building inspector. Don’t start off arguing or complsining, tell him you need help understanding the code. Ask him to tell you what code book and what paragraph number applies. Most inspectors are happy to explain. Then go to amazon and buy that book.

This link will let you look at the codes for your state. If there are local amendments you will have to ask the local building department
When you go from 2 units to 3 you are no longer in the residential code you will be in the commercial codes. You should start with the IEBC