• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2007 ASHRAE 90.1 or 2009 IECC

rktect 1

Gold Member
I was given a set of plans for a tenant space. The energy requirements for the mechanical are submitted via COMcheck with the 2009 IECC requirements by one engineer. The interior lighting and power compliance are submitted via COMcheck with the 2007 ASHRAE 90.1 by another engineer.

Is it ok to mix these like this or are they required to be done under the same code?

Section 501.2 states the following:

"The commercial building project shall comply with the requirements in Sections 502 (Building envelope requirements), 503 (Building mechanical systems), 504 (Service water heating) and 505 (Electrical power and lighting systems) in its entirety. As an alternative the commercial building project shall comply with the requirements of ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1 in its entirety."

Since it refers to the "building project" and not components of the project, and that the first sentence includes all sections ("in its entirety"), and the second sentence allows ASHRAE as an alternate ("in its entirety"), then I would say no--either one or the other must be used and not portions of each.

RLGA said:
Section 501.2 states the following:"The commercial building project shall comply with the requirements in Sections 502 (Building envelope requirements), 503 (Building mechanical systems), 504 (Service water heating) and 505 (Electrical power and lighting systems) in its entirety. As an alternative the commercial building project shall comply with the requirements of ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1 in its entirety."

Since it refers to the "building project" and not components of the project, and that the first sentence includes all sections ("in its entirety"), and the second sentence allows ASHRAE as an alternate ("in its entirety"), then I would say no--either one or the other must be used and not portions of each.
This is how our State Energy Office has been training AHJs and Contractors/RDPs to interpret that section. One or the other, but not a combination of both.

Since COMcheck is a modeling (performance) tool, if you accept it, doesn't matter how they achieve compliance. Pretty tough to pick one over the other. If you accept modeling, you need to look at the input data (read assumptions).

:banghdBringing this thread back from the dead. Hoping to find some clarification. 2009 IECC Sections 501.1 and 501.2 state the ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1 standard as an acceptable alternative but it doesn't say which one? 2004, 2007 or 2010? I would imagine it being the most current one but I have learned not to assume anything. The reason I am asking is because the designer of a new Family Dollar store here submitted a Comcheck based on the 2007 ASHRAE 90.1 and the building envelope passes compliance by 2%. Do the same Comcheck based on the 2010 version and it fails by 6%.... I would like to catch this before it comes time for them to ask if there is any issues with the submitted design. If it is based on the 2010 ASHRAE 90.1, I will have to tell them to redo the Comcheck and add a greater R-value to their proposed R-19 continuous roof insulation to R-30 in order to pass compliance by 1%:pitty This energy code stuff drives me nuts sometimes (1 percent better than code... WTF is that?)

EDIT: pretty sure the 2009 IECC commentary just clarified it for me. The sentence "at least 1998 ASHRAE 90.1 or its successor"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Inspector said:
:banghdBringing this thread back from the dead. Hoping to find some clarification. 2009 IECC Sections 501.1 and 501.2 state the ASHRAE/IESNA 90.1 standard as an acceptable alternative but it doesn't say which one? 2004, 2007 or 2010? I would imagine it being the most current one but I have learned not to assume anything. The reason I am asking is because the designer of a new Family Dollar store here submitted a Comcheck based on the 2007 ASHRAE 90.1 and the building envelope passes compliance by 2%. Do the same Comcheck based on the 2010 version and it fails by 6%.... I would like to catch this before it comes time for them to ask if there is any issues with the submitted design. If it is based on the 2010 ASHRAE 90.1, I will have to tell them to redo the Comcheck and add a greater R-value to their proposed R-19 continuous roof insulation to R-30 in order to pass compliance by 1%:pitty This energy code stuff drives me nuts sometimes (1 percent better than code... WTF is that?)EDIT: pretty sure the 2009 IECC commentary just clarified it for me. The sentence "at least 1998 ASHRAE 90.1 or its successor"
Well I guess I just figured it out all by my little brained self.:banghd Can't enforce a 2010 standard if you are currently on a 2009 code. Technically the 2010 Standard didn't even exist in 2009. So I will be letting the designer slide on the 2007 ASHRAE 90.1 standard.

Mr. Inspector,

Glad that we could assist you in answering your question. :mrgreen:

I agree with the others, ..it's either one or the other for consistency of the applicable

standards to the whole project, and not a "pick and choose option" from one RDP to

the next one.

Did an RDP provide plans for this Family Dollar Store?

FWIW, designers, contractors, homeowners and others ARE allowed to construct

above the code (minimums).

I agree to the no mix and match of codes also. Yes, I have plans sitting here that i have been scouring for a couple weeks. Thought I might have caught a mistake. Kind of stinks that the 2009 IECC is more stringent than the 2007 ASHRAE 90.1 but the Designer can use either. I would prefer to see buildings a bit more insulated here in the ice box of Colorado. (actually 86 degrees out today. Pretty nice!)

The IECC section 501.1, 501.2, 502.1.1 along with Table 502.2(2) references the 2007 edition. The referenced standard section in the back of the code books will give you the correct edition (year) to use per the referenced section number.

With modeling, you can mix and match (505.6); there are still some mandatory lighting requirements (controls, etc) that must be met.

mtlogcabin said:
The IECC section 501.1, 501.2, 502.1.1 along with Table 502.2(2) references the 2007 edition. The referenced standard section in the back of the code books will give you the correct edition (year) to use per the referenced section number.
That is exactly the answer I was looking for! Did not even think of looking there! Thank you.