• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IECC Greenhouse

steveray

SAWHORSE
Existing greenhouse is attempting to put heat in it....Is the lack of addressing it in the IECC intentional? As in, we are supposed to ignore it? CT has adopted (amended) requirements for residential greenhouses, but nothing for commercial.....??????

101.4.5 Change in space conditioning. Any nonconditioned space that is altered to become conditioned space shall be required to be brought into full compliance with this code.

Thanks in advance for discussion on this....

Assuming that the reason for the heat is to aid in growing plants as opposed to human comfort, I wouldn't refer to the heat as conditioning the space.

CONDITIONED SPACE. An area or room within a building being heated or cooled, containing uninsulated ducts, or with a fixed opening directly into an adjacent conditioned space.

It fits the definition. So does a walk-in cooler. The heat is part of a process.

When I was a kid, I worked in a rose factory....in Illinois. One of my jobs was shoveling coal. The other was shoveling $hit. I haven't shoveled coal in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for playing devil's advocate with me.....I am pretty sure that a WIC is insulated to the energy code though. If not the building around it would be...Just trying to figure out if there would be a specific exemption....I have a hard time with all of the things that seem to be exempt or ignored in commercial energy but not residential....If we are really trying to conserve energy, why do we get to heat the outdoor dining areas?....But I get looked at like I am the devil when I tell people that they cannot build their 1 story 12x12 residential addition with 2x4 walls and 2x10 rafters because it will not meet the energy code....

I would only require that the new heating units meet the minimum energy efficiency requirements of the Code. I don't know of a way that a greenhouse can be brougnt into full compliance with the Code.

GPE