• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2012 nfpa 101 - Table 18.3.2.1 - Hazardous Area Protection

JARVISS88

in the olden days, i often heard people say..."storage room over 100 sf...1 hour"

I'm working on a nursing home and with various sized storage rooms I'm looking at the 2012 NFPA 101...table 18.3.2.1.
I have some storage rooms > 100 sf = 1 hour separation....
I also have smaller ones: over 50 sf and under 100...it says, "see 18.3.6.3.11"
when i go to 18.3.6.3.11...it states "Door-closing devices shall not be required on doors in corridor wall openings other than those serving required exits, smoke barriers, or enclosures of vertical openings and hazardous areas." but nothing about separation...
In my mind, I guess this means that these smaller storage rooms don't have separation requirements and also don't require closers?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Will have to look at 101

But these are in a rated corridor??

Aren’t all the other doors attached to the corridor rated??

Ok, had some coffee,

I would say yes if 50 to 100 sq ft the room does not have to be rated.

And

Door-closing devices shall not be required on doors in corridor wall openings other than those serving required exits, smoke barriers, or enclosures of vertical openings and hazardous areas.

Strange that 101 would not require a door closer?

I know not needed on patient rooms, but

Did you read through this::
18.3.6.1 Corridor Separation.
Corridors shall be separated from all other areas by partitions complying with 18.3.6.2 through 18.3.6.5(see also 18.2.5.4), unless otherwise permitted by one of the following:

Ok 101 seems to worry more about smoke than fire::

18.3.6.3 * Corridor Doors.
18.3.6.3.1 *
Doors protecting corridor openings shall be constructed to resist the passage of smoke, and the following also shall apply:

1. (1)
    Compliance with NFPA 80, Standard for Fire Doors and Other Opening Protectives, shall not be required.

2. (2)
    A clearance between the bottom of the door and the floor covering not exceeding 1 in. (25 mm) shall be permitted for corridor doors.

3. (3)
    Doors to toilet rooms, bathrooms, shower rooms, sink closets, and similar auxiliary spaces that do not contain flammable or combustible material shall not be required to be constructed to resist the passage of smoke.

Doors shall be self-latching and provided with positive latching hardware.

Glad i do not have to deal with 101.

Last edited:
It appears 101 is relying on the fire sprinkler system to save the day.

Not sure if I answered your origin
in the olden days, i often heard people say..."storage room over 100 sf...1 hour"

I'm working on a nursing home and with various sized storage rooms I'm looking at the 2012 NFPA 101...table 18.3.2.1.
I have some storage rooms > 100 sf = 1 hour separation....
I also have smaller ones: over 50 sf and under 100...it says, "see 18.3.6.3.11"
when i go to 18.3.6.3.11...it states "Door-closing devices shall not be required on doors in corridor wall openings other than those serving required exits, smoke barriers, or enclosures of vertical openings and hazardous areas." but nothing about separation...
In my mind, I guess this means that these smaller storage rooms don't have separation requirements and also don't require closers?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Yes appears your thoughts are correct,,

No separation required / per the table

No closer required. / per 18.3.6.3.11

once again welcome.