• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IBC - Allowable Areas Still by Story?

fj80

Sawhorse
Doing my first building under 2015 IBC, and I notice that Table 506.2 Allowable Area Factor does not seem to state that the areas indicated are by story. Is it still per story? Does it state this somewhere?

Ok, so I only see reference to "building" area now and no longer any reference of "per story." thanks.
Read the entire section, not just 506.1.

506.2.1 "The allowable area of a single-occupancy building with no more than one story above grade plane shall be determined in accordance with Equation 5-1." The value of A(t) is from Table 506.2.
506.2.2 "The allowable area of a mixed-occupancy building with no more than one story above grade plane shall be determined in accordance with the applicable provisions of Section 508.1 based on Equation 5-1 for each applicable occupancy."
506.2.3 "No individual story [of a single-occupancy, multistory building] shall exceed the allowable area (Aa) as determined by Equation 5-2 using the value of Sa = 1."
506.2.4 "Each story of a mixed-occupancy building with more than one story above grade plane shall individually comply with the applicable requirements of Section 508.1." Equation 5-3 is used and the value of A(t) is from Table 506.2.