• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IECC/IRC Mandatory Blower Door Testing

Coder

Silver Member
Not sure how well received this requirement is going to be in my jurisdiction. Looking at adding to the first sentence of 2015 IECC Section R402.4.1.2 and 2015 IRC Section 1102.4.1.2 "Where required by the code official. Any thoughts? Thanks, Coder

N1102.4.1.2 (R402.4.1.2) Testing.
The building or dwelling unit shall be tested and verified as having an air leakage rate of not exceeding 5 air changes per hour in Zones 1 and 2, and 3 air changes per hour in Zones 3 through 8. Testing shall be conducted with a blower door at a pressure of 0.2 inches w.g. (50 Pascals). Where required by the building official, testing shall be conducted by an approved third party. A written report of the results of the test shall be signed by the party conducting the test and provided to the building official. Testing shall be performed at any time after creation of all penetrations of the building thermal envelope.

I do not require a third party nor do I require a written report. The state requires an "Energy Sticker" be affixed to the electrical panel which has that information to be filled in. That is all we look for.

Scroll down to pg 14 for sticker
http://deq.mt.gov/Portals/112/Energ...NERGY NOTES_RESID_AUGUST 2016 w NEEA logo.pdf

Mountain Man, what do you think of Zinke as Secretary of the Interior? Will this change the way you are required to do things?

Gizmodo said:
As Secretary of the Interior, Zinke would be responsible for managing the country’s federal land and resources. He’d also be in charge of the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management, among other agencies. If confirmed, he would wield the power to reverse many of the previous administration’s environmentally friendly policies, like blocking oil and gas drilling on public land.

Zinke received a 3 percent lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters, a pro-environmental advocacy group. He opposed the EPA’s Clean Water Rule and Clean Power Plan, and voted against myriad environmental protection proposals. He’s also a supporter of the Keystone XL pipeline. ¹

¹ http://gizmodo.com/who-the-hell-is-ryan-zinke-trumps-pick-for-secretary-o-1790143483

mtlogcabin, you emphasized the wrong part of the section. Third party is optional, testing is not.
"The building or dwelling unit shall be tested and verified..."
Are you suggesting that the AHJ should buy the equipment and conduct the tests?

I would make it optional if I could. We've been requiring the duct-tightness test and blower door test for a couple of years here now. There are several companies that have sprouted up that make a report to be submitted with the permit and conduct the tests. I'm not sure how much it adds to the cost of each house, but if you are in an area where none of these companies exist, it would definitely be a hardship.

Most of the contractors around here have never even heard of a blower door test. Just issued the first permit that will require the blower door test and the owner and contractor were not happy, especially when I suggested they test after the ceilings were in and before everything was closed up to find the major leaks before the final.

Most of the contractors around here have never even heard of a blower door test. Just issued the first permit that will require the blower door test and the owner and contractor were not happy, especially when I suggested they test after the ceilings were in and before everything was closed up to find the major leaks before the final.

They sale code books where you work?? Don't they or they can look at one of yours

mtlogcabin, you emphasized the wrong part of the section. Third party is optional, testing is not.
"The building or dwelling unit shall be tested and verified..."
Are you suggesting that the AHJ should buy the equipment and conduct the tests?

No I tell the contractors I do not want copies of the test just put the numbers on the required sticker.

I have no idea if a test is done or the numbers are real. I know the state does not enforce any portion of the energy code for residential homes so I will not require a blower door test if the state will not require one.

Mountain Man, what do you think of Zinke as Secretary of the Interior? Will this change the way you are required to do things?

¹ http://gizmodo.com/who-the-hell-is-ryan-zinke-trumps-pick-for-secretary-o-1790143483

I think he would be a good pick. I do not believe he will just willy nilly reverse rules that are in place. He seems like the kind of guy who is methodical and analytical to resolving issues based on facts.

Reactions: JBI
You're right Tiger, we have to do two blower door tests, one before frame inspection to be sure the building is sealed up and then the 62.2 test at completion to be sure enough air leaks in for humans to survive. I guess the final work-around is to hard wire all fans full high until after final then the electrician comes back and revises the wiring.

Good to hear I am not the only one that thinks that mandatory blower door test need not be mandatory. I can see it being a useful in some instances though.

Good to hear I am not the only one that thinks that mandatory blower door test need not be mandatory. I can see it being a useful in some instances though.

Unless you're in IL - our State energy code doesn't give you any outs, you HAVE to have a blower door test done.

My builders hate it. Closest outfit to me that does them is an ~hr. away. So not only are they paying too much for the ridiculous test, they're also paying for the guy to drive over here and back to do it. Good stuff... :rolleyes:

A number of local building association's bought the equipment and offered 8 hour training classes @ $125.00 per person. Now the contractors can do their own testing.
Local guys who had invested into this "easy money" code required testing are a little pissed because I do not require third party inspections. Other local jurisdictions do

I think I found a retirement job!!!
Funny I was thinking the same thing. Gravy train for someone around here if adopted as a mandatory requirement. Pretty sure is about a $300 deal for a couple hours of actual work.

I was an energy advisor certified by the provincial and federal government. I performed blower door tests as part of the energy audit. We usually ran 2.5 hours including a full inspection of the insulation levels of the home, measuring geometry and recording mechanical systems. Blower door tests take about 15 minutes and maybe 5 to run the numbers for ACH. I've done hundreds of them, so maybe I'm a little faster than most, but I doubt that it would take much longer than than that for most people.