• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IECC Section C505 Change of Use - energy requirements

George McGerd

Bronze Member
Paragraph C505.1 states " spaces undergoing a change in occupancy that would result in an increase in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code." The next sentence talks about Lighting Power Allowances and references Table 405.4.2(1) and (2) regarding changes in occupancies.

Has this paragraph ever been interpreted to also apply to building mechanical and HVAC systems? Or does it related to power and lighting requirements only?

Thanks

Following up on this. The way we understand this Section of the Code (C505) is that any change in occupancy or use of an existing building, which results in an increase in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code. I pulled the commentary which goes on to say "the application of this section is straightforward..." Not so much in my opinion. I've received various interpretations on this paragraph. The prevailing one is that ANY change in occupancy (note, not necessarily a change in "use and occupancy") resulting in an increased energy use means we would need to address the energy use of that building or tenant area. In other words...if Bob's Hardware Store moves out and Jim's Hardware Store moves in, Jim now has to either A) bring the old existing building into full compliance with 2015 IECC using either the prescriptive compliance path or total building performance path -OR- B) add energy efficiency measures such that Jim's Hardware Store uses the same amount of energy or less than Bob's. Thoughts?

Following up on this. The way we understand this Section of the Code (C505) is that any change in occupancy or use of an existing building, which results in an increase in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code. I pulled the commentary which goes on to say "the application of this section is straightforward..." Not so much in my opinion. I've received various interpretations on this paragraph. The prevailing one is that ANY change in occupancy (note, not necessarily a change in "use and occupancy") resulting in an increased energy use means we would need to address the energy use of that building or tenant area. In other words...if Bob's Hardware Store moves out and Jim's Hardware Store moves in, Jim now has to either A) bring the old existing building into full compliance with 2015 IECC using either the prescriptive compliance path or total building performance path -OR- B) add energy efficiency measures such that Jim's Hardware Store uses the same amount of energy or less than Bob's. Thoughts?

Read the definition of 'change of occupancy'.
What you describe is a change of occupant, not occupancy.

Only if they are doing work that requires a permit like adding light fixtures. And if they are they could replace the existing ones to low energy like LED's and not increase the energy usage.

But if Bob's Hardware Store was not open sunday and Jim's Hardware Store is? Wouldn't that increase energy?
I wouldn't go there.

Thanks JBI. Rick - per what JBI is saying, a 'change of occupant' would not trigger the provisions of C505.1, since it's not a 'change in occupancy' as defined in Chapter 2 of IBC.

Reactions: JBI
Correct....And hardware store to hardware store should not increase energy usage.....When they try to jam the small restaurant into the old mercantile space in the strip-mall. it is problematic at best....Reinsulate the BUILDING change the windows, HVAC and all of the light fixtures and controls.....Small tenant COU killer

Reactions: JBI