• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 irc = 2015 ispsc

Glenn

In case you're interested, RB-465 was approved by the committee at the ICC hearings.

This deletes the the entire pool appendix and puts a reference to the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code into the body under Section 324.1. Another book, mandatory for all.

The reference is only for the "aquatic vessel" (a term abandoned in the pool code hearings), but the reason statement went beyond the pool itself and makes reference to barriers. This made the North American Deck and Railing Association I was representing nervous. An IRC reference is only to the prescribed extent of the reference, in this case the "aquatic vessel" only, so why did the reason statement go further. The proposal did not appear to match the intent.

Well, we turned out to be the only opposition to the proposal, though I expected opposition from BO's that didn't want the choice of the appendix adoption taken from them. There were none. During testimony, we made it clear why we were speaking and explained that we did not want confusion that this reference included the deck-related provisions of Section 306. They are not well written. This video describes the problems.

Turns out...the proponent did intend for all the provisions of the ISPSC to be part of the reference and the committee did not seem in opposition. They did acknowledge my comments about the reference being only to the pool, and encouraged a public comment to state all the ancillary features.

I am curious if this worries anyone else, or if indeed...the decking and railing industry is the only opposition. The pool and spa code has unique requirements for decks that are not in the IRC. If someone builds a deck adjacent to a hot-tub, there's new rules that will be required but they are in another book. Are you ready for that?

I would like to hear you opinions. Thanks.

Well...I guess the silence here is a good example of why we were the only opposition.

I suggest you check out the 2012 ISPSC so you at least know what you will have to enforce under the 2015 IRC. ICC won't mind selling you another book.

It could be stunned silence.

I think it's

Last edited by a moderator:
I unfortunately had step out of the hearing, I would not be, and am not happy about being mandated to adopt yet another code. Don't know what I could have added, but hopefully something with come through for public comment so another discussion can be heard in Atlantic City in October.

We are already used to IECC, IEBC, IMC, IRC, IBC, and the list goes on and on,not sure how another specific code would challenge anyone?

Glenn said:
In case you're interested, RB-465 was approved by the committee at the ICC hearings.This deletes the the entire pool appendix and puts a reference to the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code into the body under Section 324.1. Another book, mandatory for all.

The reference is only for the "aquatic vessel" (a term abandoned in the pool code hearings), but the reason statement went beyond the pool itself and makes reference to barriers. This made the North American Deck and Railing Association I was representing nervous. An IRC reference is only to the prescribed extent of the reference, in this case the "aquatic vessel" only, so why did the reason statement go further. The proposal did not appear to match the intent.

Well, we turned out to be the only opposition to the proposal, though I expected opposition from BO's that didn't want the choice of the appendix adoption taken from them. There were none. During testimony, we made it clear why we were speaking and explained that we did not want confusion that this reference included the deck-related provisions of Section 306. They are not well written. This video describes the problems.

Glen, I thought I would tag your post with this inquiry since it has to do with bonding for hot tubs and there decking and you might have direct knowledge. There was a TIA issued 1005 for 2011 NEC in reference to bonding that pertains to outdoor installations for Spa/Hot Tubs. Item # 4 has a wooden or composite decking being bonded.

Proposal to Change 2011 NEC

17-142 Log #344 NEC-P17 Final Action: Accept

(680.42(B))

Submitter: Brian E. Rock, Hubbell Incorporated

Recommendation: Revise text to read as follows:

680.42 Outdoor Installations.

A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.

[680.42(A) unchanged by this Proposal]

(B) Bonding. Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted. The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.

Equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces in accordance with 680.26(B)(2) shall not be required to be provided for spas and hot tubs where all of the following conditions apply:

(1) The spa or hot tub shall be listed as a self-contained spa for aboveground use.

(2) The spa or hot tub shall not be identified as suitable only for indoor use.

(3) The installation shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall be located on or above grade.

(4) The top rim of the spa or hot tub shall be at least 71 cm (28 in.) above all perimeter surfaces that are within 76 cm (30 in.) measured horizontally from the spa or hot tub. The height of nonconductive external steps for entry to or exit from the self-contained spa shall not be used to reduce or increase this rim height measurement.

Informational Note: For information regarding listing requirements for self-contained spas and hot tubs, see ANSI/UL 1563 - 2010, Standard for Electric Spas, Equipment Assemblies, and Associated Equipment.

[Remainder of 680.42 unchanged by this Proposal]

Substantiation: Substantiated by Tentative Interim Amendment (TIA) No. 1005 for 2011 National Electrical Code® but the requirement wording proposed here provides an unambiguous statement of Code direction, and complies with the NEC® Manual of Style, not fully achieved in revised requirement wording originally proposed by TIA No. 1005.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept

Panel Statement: The panel makes reference to (B)(2) in the recommendation and advises that the language is intentionally worded to correlate with the listing requirements for marking contained in the product safety standard.

Number Eligible to Vote: 10

Ballot Results: Affirmative: 10

Comment on Affirmative:

COOK, D.: Proposal 17-144 provides the most concise description of the requirement, appears to address NEC Style Manual issues and meets the intent of the submitter.

Glenn,

Are you saying that there will be a Deck Code in 2015, for both the Residential and

Commercial, ..one of each, other, none yet?

Thanks!

The 2015 IRC will reference the ISPSC, meaning if you adopt the 2015 IRC, unless you amend the reference out, you have adopted the ISPSC. There are then deck requirements contained in the ISPSC that you would have to follow.