• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 Table R302.1(1) footnote b

Without the gable vent there is one less place for the fire to spread to neighboring buildings?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught to never put an eave vent over a window.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
I was taught to never put an eave vent over a window.
That seems very difficult, considering the random location with windows, aligning with the regularity of vent placement.

Brent.

There is no set pattern required for eave vents that I am aware of. If you lose a few here and there what's the big deal? Just add a few somewhere else.

ICE said:
There is no set pattern required for eave vents that I am aware of. If you lose a few here and there what's the big deal? Just add a few somewhere else.
Kinda like with your thing, no vents over windows, mine has always been 3 blocks, a vent...3 and 1. Who knows where it came from.

Brent.

Clarification from the 2018 IRC changes "eave" with the following:

b. The fire-resistance rating shall be permitted to be reduced to 0 hours on the underside of the rake overhang where gable vent openings are not installed.