• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IEBC Section 805.3.1.1 Single Exit buildings

tbz

Silver Member
So I am trying to wrap my head around this project for weeks now, and understand if the following complies as allowed per 805.3.1.1, No. 2 or 3

The building has been a B use for more years than most of us have been on this planet.
  • Street level which we will call 1st floor staying as is a B use,
    • tenant in that location.
  • Back of building basement is out of ground, underground at street level
    • Not used or rented other than mechanical equipment
  • 2nd floor is one level above street level, 2 levels above back of building basement level
    • Was (3) B, offices looking to convert to R2 apartments
  • 3rd level is two levels above street level, 3 levels above back of building basement level
    • Was (2) B's, looking to convert to R2 apartments

1. When I read 805.3.1.1 under #2, first, does this mean that each unit must have a ground level separate exit?
    1. Or does it work with my single center stair flights and hallways?
  2. Or if I look at #3, and the first flight from street level to the 2ndfloor center hallway and 2 flight to the 2rd floor meet 909.2 and 1023.11, are we ok with a single and not 2nd stairway enclosure?

You should be looking in Chapter 10 - Change of Occupancy.

Table 1011.4 shows R-2 as a higher hazard than B.

IEBC 1011.7.1 requires stairways to be enclosed as required by the IBC.

Paul is on the right track.....You need to look at what needs to be "upgraded" by the IEBC and what doesn't...Even if the single exit works, the 3 story opening may be required to be rated...In new R2 sprinklered you get 4 units 125' one way out