• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IFC 807 - Artificial Foliage tested by manufacturer?

rfrito

Designing a show for a group A-3 occupancy

One of the projects is a fake garden. In a perfect world, we would be able to just use Class A rated artificial foliage but the creative direction is that these be like, vegetable garden plants and those are not readily available in fire-rated flavors.

Our options from here would be to either construct our own plants using FR materials, OR (what I'm hoping) is to use a fire treatment. We have FlameSafe FPCC50 which is specific for artificial foliage and comes with a raft of supporting documentation.

807.1 The following requirements shall apply to all occupancies:

1. Furnishings or decorative materials of an explosive or highly flammable character shall not be used.
  2. Fire-retardant coatings in existing buildings shall be maintained so as to retain the effectiveness of the treatment under service conditions encountered in actual use.
  3. Furnishings or other objects shall not be placed to obstruct exits, access thereto, egress therefrom or visibility thereof.
  4. The permissible amount of noncombustible decorative materials shall not be limited.
but then:

807.3 Where required to exhibit improved fire performance, curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and other similar combustible decorative materials suspended from walls or ceilings shall be tested by an approved agency and meet the flame propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701 or exhibit a maximum rate of heat release of 100 kW when tested in accordance with NFPA 289, using the 20 kW ignition source. Reports of test results shall be prepared in accordance with the test method used and furnished to the fire code official upon request.

807.4.1 Artificial decorative vegetation shall meet the flame propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701. Meeting such criteria shall be documented and certified by the manufacturer in an approved manner. Alternatively, the artificial decorative vegetation shall be tested in accordance with NFPA 289, using the 20 kW ignition source, and shall have a maximum heat release rate of 100 kW.

So my question is - can we or can't we use a fire-treatment to meet these requirements? It would be applied to manufacturer's specification and we would routinely maintain the treatment. Usually we avoid FR treatment in all cases, but this is one of those moments where there's no good way around the problem. None of the materials would be attached to the walls or ceilings (they would be staged in standalone planter boxes), and the rest of the materials in the space would be either Class A rated or non-combustible.

I'm relatively green to this end of code compliance. So I don't have a ton of experience engaging with fire marshals. I do know that we have used fire treatments in past projects, but the use was limited.

I do not like field applied.

Not all materials will accept it,,,, they still burn.

For temp display use, I might allow it…. You would have to treat an example,,,, and let me burn it!!!!

I would say up to the city you are displaying in.

I do not like field applied.

Not all materials will accept it,,,, they still burn.

For temp display use, I might allow it…. You would have to treat an example,,,, and let me burn it!!!!

I would say up to the city you are displaying in.
Yeah for whatever reason my work is being cagey on whether or not we can get feedback from the city on this one.

It would be longer than 90 days. Our other option is to get it tested ourselves (which is probably too expensive)

Yeah for whatever reason my work is being cagey on whether or not we can get feedback from the city on this one.

It would be longer than 90 days. Our other option is to get it tested ourselves (which is probably too expensive)

Yep

Do it and ask for forgiveness later.

Yep if you put together and want it tested,,, it will cost a lot !!!!!!

Some Fire Marshals will field test and bless it.

Good luck

Oh but I love certainty. Everything you've said lines up with my expectations and thinking on this so it looks like we'll just have to make a decision and stick with it. I'm sure we can find a compromise (half IFR materials, half treated or what not). At least we're not trying to stick astroturf to the ceiling anymore :oops: