• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IRC Projections definition / gutter?

keckelhoff

Hi All,
I am working on single family residential under the 2018 IRC. R302 requires a minimum of 2'-0" between a projection and the property line. I cannot find the definition of projection anywhere. Would a gutter be considered a part of the projection? Or would it just be the roof overhang?

Thanks! - K

The gutter itself is non-combustible, but would if it is full of leaves/needles/twigs?

I would think you need to include it.

Good question, there will be more replies I am sure.

This is a great question, and one that does not have a clear answer.

By the letter of the code, it is part of the projection. That said, I'd honestly imagine that 9-times-out-of-10, the AHJ would measure to the outwards projection of the roof framing for the soffits and not include the gutter. Gutters are not typically required, and often are installed after a home is built. And gutters do not typically require a permit.

So what happens when a house is built and the setback is ok, but then gutters are added and the projection exceeds the limits? Is the existing structure now in violation due to the addition of gutters, even though those gutters do not require a permit?

Becomes a tough battle for an AHJ. Simple approach, get the CO and then install the gutters. ;)

Yes, my initial reaction was, the gutter is non-combustible. I probably would have measured to the fascia and called it a day.

Only after I thought about it did I think of the future loading.

Is that the inspectors problem? Should it be?

Yeah, make it easy and leave the gutters off.

Gutters are required in our jurisdiction for residential buildings over 200 sf. per our Plumbing Code and City Municipal Code.

We include the gutter as part of the projection. Gutters that extend beyond the building wall could direct heat, smoke and flames into the eave vents in the event of a fire.

I have used ground gutters on most of my houses - plastic liner, stone, perforated drain pipe. Saves me from climbing up on a ladder a couple times a year to clean regular gutters.

Gutters are required in our jurisdiction for residential buildings over 200 sf. per our Plumbing Code and City Municipal Code.

We include the gutter as part of the projection. Gutters that extend beyond the building wall could direct heat, smoke and flames into the eave vents in the event of a fire.
Common sense and logic vs best practices vs likelyihood of an event all come into play here, as usual, "it depends", or does it?

Common sense and logic vs best practices vs likelyihood of an event all come into play here, as usual, "it depends", or does it?

The need for requiring gutters is affected by annual rainfall, soil conditions, like expansive clays, unstable soils, potential or historical slide zones, and proximity to other buildings or lots, or protected habitat zones. And some Jurisdiction's also require gutters in their Development Code, and design requirements.

Most codes adopted will require the downspouts to extend into the area a minimum of 5-ft from the foundation which adds more issues to the question unless amended.