• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

24/7 Lighting

bcorps

I'm doing the design on a pharmacy in a strip mall type building. The entire building is well over 5,000 square feet, so ASHRAE would require automatic shutoff of of lighting in each of the tenant spaces.

However, the pharmacy owner is requesting 24/7 lighting in the retail area (most of his tenant space). He has been robbed in the past, and is appropriately security conscious.

ASHRAE gives an exception for lighting "intended to be" 24/7. Whose intentions?

This seems problematic for me, as anyone can claim "I intend for the lighting in my building to be 24/7...I don't want occupancy sensors or a lighting control panel" to save money...and then just turn it on and off with switches whenever they want.

Any suggestions on who gets to decide if 24/7 lighting in the space is appropriate and legal?

A ceiling mounted occupancy sensor, Sensor Switch CMR 9 (ceiling mounted, Infrared activated), is $40.00 and easy to install. If the business owner installs one or more of these occupant sensors and tells the police to check out the establishment if the lights are on in the middle of the night, might catch someone in the act. Plus, if an evil doer comes in and suddenly the lights come on, they may think they are being watched and change their mind.

I agree with the substance of your comment. But you don't know my client. He literally thinks he can do any thing he wants to, and if I give two cents for keeping my license, I'm just being pedantic.

I agree with the substance of your comment. But you don't know my client. He literally thinks he can do any thing he wants to, and if I give two cents for keeping my license, I'm just being pedantic.

I think that there is a simple answer to this. I would simply place that as a comment on the prints, bringing attention to it, stating that “the lighting in the pharmacy area will be on 24 hours a day for security purposes“ and let the building code official flag it and be the bad guy then tell your client that he could file an appeal

Last edited by a moderator: